What is Terragen?
Terragen™ is a powerful solution for building, rendering, and animating realistic natural environments. Create entire worlds from your imagination, or import real world terrain data sets and use Terragen to create the most realistic visualizations possible. You control the weather, landscape, rivers, lakes and oceans, suns, moons and stars. With Terragen you have complete control over the shader networks used for terrains, textures, micropolygon displacements, clouds and object distributions. You can reorganize the planetary shading pipeline to suit your goals. Place grass and trees wherever you want, as well as other objects in native TGO or OBJ format that you have modeled in third party software.
“…no other renderer out there can give you the same landscape or nature realism that Terragen provides…” – 3D World Magazine
Terragen has been used for visual effects in more than 30 feature films as well as numerous major TV productions, game development, VR environments, museum exhibits, documentaries, and more. Some of the largest and most respected visual effects companies in the industry rely on Terragen for their environment workflows, including Digital Domain, Industrial Light & Magic, Weta Digital, and MPC, to name a few. Terragen’s powerful displacement and atmospherics engines have garnered a reputation for accurate, photo realistic environments featuring detailed terrains, physically-based volumetric skies, and massive populations of instanced geometry. We have continued to improve these core strengths for Terragen 4, producing new creative options and render capabilities, improved performance, and enhanced workflows.
- Hybrid micropolygon and ray tracing renderer optimized for large displacements and very large landscapes.
- Flexible global illumination system for accurate lighting at any scale, from close-up, to distant, to planetary scale.
- Render entire planets, sweeping vistas, tiny rock gardens, or anything in between.
- Photorealistic atmosphere and sunlight.
- Volumetric clouds or fast “2.5D” clouds.
- Multiple scattering in volumetrics, full light interaction between volumetrics and surfaces.
- High dynamic range output; generate photorealistic environment maps and IBL sources.
- Production quality anti-aliasing and motion blur that renders quickly and efficiently.
- Import 3D objects for rendering.
- Render millions of plants and other objects using instancing. Billions of virtual polygons are handled with ease.
- Node graph editor for ultimate control over shaders and textures.
- Flexible planetary shading pipeline.
- Add multiple heightfields, textures and displacement maps to your scene.
- Procedural terrains that can span an entire planet.
- Apply almost “infinite” fractal detail to terrain and other objects.
- Overhanging terrain using procedural displacements, image-based displacements, or imported geometry.
- 3D painting of colours and masks that can control almost anything in the scene.
- Animation of almost any parameter
- Georeferencing options; automatic georeferencing for properly formatted GIS files, including GeoTIFF and more.
- Export high resolution objects from displaced surfaces.
The free version has the following basic limitations:
- Render Size Maximum: 1280 × 900
- Render Detail Maximum: 0.6
- Antialiasing Maximum: 6
- Maximum Number of Rendered Populations: 3
- Maximum Render Detail for Micropolygon Export: 0.1
- No Animation
A complete list of the differences between the free and licensed versions of Terragen 4 can be found on our Product Comparison Page.