Render Farm Functionality

Started by PabloMack, April 21, 2010, 09:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PabloMack

I've been researching Render Farms.  I was thinking that the tgdcli.exe application was used on the render nodes to accept commands from remote nodes but I no longer think this is the case as it is nearly the same as tgd.exe.  Looks like tgdcli.exe is still a GUI app that only gives an additional console interface for status output and, perhaps, command input.  So how does a TG2 render farm work?  Do you just install the same distribution that you install in your workstation?  So does the controlling workstation just submit work to each render node to render one frame at a time or are whole sequences batched to each node?  Does anyone have experience with using a TG2 render farm and know how it works?  I am assuming that these render nodes can also serve as LW render nodes. 

Oshyan

You just pass the normal exe the appropriate commandline parameters, e.g. render this frame from this tgd and output a bmp image here. The commandline docs are in the /docs folder of the TG2 install folder for registered Deep and Deep + Animation users. The free version does not support commandline functions so the docs aren't included.

- Oshyan

PabloMack

I see.  I'll study the doc.  Thanks a bunch. 

shadowphile

Have you looked at this thread?  I find Neon22's tool indispensable.  It uses the CLI version, isn't really a render-farm, but it does create a nice infrastructure for one.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=5251.0

I had to do a slight tweak to fix a bug, but anybody can do it with a text editor.
Neon22 is working on a new version.
The install is rather messy, but I personally had no problems, started right up.