Shadow Adjustments...

Started by choronr, March 10, 2007, 01:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

I would like to see an adjustment setting for shadow lightness/darkness - whether the shadows are created by the atmosphere, terrain or objects. Ideally, this setting would be placed in the rendering controls along with the gamma and contrast controls.

All to often, I find shadows to be too dark; especially when rendering fake stones or objects. Adjusting global illumination doesn't seem to be the answer to the 'dark' shadows since it has an adverse effect on other elements of the scene.

I hope this issue would be addressed by Planetside.

choronr   

Oshyan

Hopefully we'll be able to provide this sort of global shadow-specific adjustment at some point. In the meantime be aware that there is a known bug with rendering of shadows from Fake Stones which causes excessively dark shadows in some cases. You can also adjust GI effect on terrain and sky separately. Saving the OpenEXR format HDRI image from TG and adjusting in an image editor may also help in some cases.

- Oshyan

choronr

Thanks Oshyan; I've been pondering this issue for awhile. The problem is more prevalent with 'close-up' images; and, isn't as important with 'distant' scenes. Thank you for your response ...we appreciate it.