Installed Memory vs RAM Usable by Windows

Started by Kadri, June 15, 2010, 01:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Blewer

I have 4 gigs. I get about 3.26 gigs to use. Windows 7 resource monitor tells me the other ram is used for the system.

The good news is that windows 7 seems to manage ram better. I am getting better usage with less memory.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kadri

Quote from: njeneb on June 15, 2010, 03:32:52 PM
The good news is that windows 7 seems to manage ram better. I am getting better usage with less memory.

I was a little skeptic if it would be good for your system , but Windows 7 seems to be better then i thought , Njeneb  :)

By the way how is your smoking state , Njeneb ? It is nearly 4 months i quit !

Henry Blewer

I am back to two packs a day. Things have been really hectic at work.

Kadri

Sorry to hear this , but don't get demoralized ! This is my 4'rd try or so.
And after 4 months it doesn't feel better. I still want to smoke  :(
Other then not to begin it is really hard ! I used to smoke 3 packs a day  :(
Patience !!!

piggy

Quote from: Kadri on June 15, 2010, 06:37:11 PMAnd after 4 months it doesn't feel better. I still want to smoke  :(

I quit for more than 10 years and every.single.day I still want to smoke. :D

Kadri

Quote from: piggy on June 15, 2010, 08:15:45 PM
Quote from: Kadri on June 15, 2010, 06:37:11 PMAnd after 4 months it doesn't feel better. I still want to smoke  :(

Go away ;D
In the last days i see people who did quit and begun again after 2 years 4 years 12 years or so ...really !
This not a good sign for me and my mental health  :)

I will not smoke!
I will ...not smoke!

See what is happening ? This isn't good  ;D

neuspadrin

Well, if this helps any:

My uncle (the youngest of my dad's siblings) died before my grandmother did.  He was an alcoholic who smoked.  He got diagnosed with cancer and issues in both liver and lungs which cut his life quite short.  His wife left him during his bad time as an alcoholic (which then got him to quit drinking) - but then he later found it to be too late, plus the fact he needed to have stopped smoking too.  Spent the end of his life living with my grandmother in pain from cancer.  He had a great attitude about it all, and kept his chin up but you could tell it was painful for him.

Not a good way to go.  So keep up the good work.

Kadri

Sorry to hear this  :(

Yes , i feel better ! How strange creatures we are !

Thanks , Neuspadrin !

Edit : Piggy i hope it helps you too !

piggy

Quote from: Kadri on June 15, 2010, 08:21:10 PM
Quote from: piggy on June 15, 2010, 08:15:45 PM
Quote from: Kadri on June 15, 2010, 06:37:11 PMAnd after 4 months it doesn't feel better. I still want to smoke  :(

Go away ;D
In the last days i see people who did quit and begun again after 2 years 4 years 12 years or so ...really !
This not a good sign for me and my mental health  :)

I will not smoke!
I will ...not smoke!

See what is happening ? This isn't good  ;D
It's a life-long struggle.

Every.single.day I struggle against that urge, that little voice inside telling me to go ahead, to light a cigarette, and to drag it deeeeeeep..... Ah...................

But every.single.time I fought back.

Even with saliva forming inside my mouth, I fought back that urge.

As I am typing this, my saliva starts to form as I am thinking of that deeeeep drag, and I *am* fighting back.

It's a life-long struggle. No two way about it.

Henry Blewer

I smoke more while at work. Anyway, Patterson wants to add a dollar a pack tax. That's a good incentive.

I wonder if the motherboard on my Dell E510 will now use more ram? If I can install enough, I can make it like my old Amiga. I had enough ram on it so almost the whole OS was in RamDisk. It made it really fast (for an Amiga 4000 anyway.) ReBoots were about 20 seconds.

Kadri

Quote from: piggy on June 16, 2010, 07:04:51 AM
It's a life-long struggle.
Every.single.day I struggle against that urge, that little voice inside telling me to go ahead, to light a cigarette, and to drag it deeeeeeep..... Ah...................
But every.single.time I fought back.
Even with saliva forming inside my mouth, I fought back that urge.
As I am typing this, my saliva starts to form as I am thinking of that deeeeep drag, and I *am* fighting back.
It's a life-long struggle. No two way about it.

Yes you said it right , Piggy! No smokers don't know how hard it is !
Anyway , it is good not to smoke :)
Njeneb , try it ones more ;)