Runtime error

Started by MGebhart, April 25, 2010, 04:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGebhart

This scene is not to heavy on the populations. The terrain is rather complex but, my computer should handle it.

I'm assuming this may be a memory issue. Is this a correct assumption?

Detail: .8
AA: 7
Ray trace objects: checked
GI relative  Detail: 2
GI Sample quality: 2
GI Blur radius: 8

Vista 32 bit
duel core 5600+ 2.8 GHz
4 GB memory
Marc Gebhart

Henry Blewer

Try using a clip render to finish the scene. I would reduce the number of threads also. You may have run out of swap space; my computer uses a lot of swap when I render. I changed the size of the swap allocation to 8 gigabytes because of the large usage,
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Oshyan

It does appear to be memory-related, but as you said it's strange since you are probably only using 2 render threads, and should only need 200-400MB of cache. The rest would be available for the scene, which looks moderately complex. The high AA and reflection in the scene may be using a lot of memory, but the low render resolution should make it not as much of a problem.

Can you try the render again and 1: check "Preallocate cache" in the Renderer node and 2: watch Task Manager for overall memory use.

Also, are any of the single objects in the scene particularly large/high poly? Any large texture maps?

- Oshyan

MGebhart

BraisseVied,

I'm playing with the idea of buying a new 64 bit box. My 32 bit is getting boring. Ha!

I'll try the Admin run function, but I found it's a memory issue. I purchased a 4 gb usb flash drive yesterday and configured it for ReadyBoost. I'll try another render this week to see if it helps.
Marc Gebhart

Henry Blewer

http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Is detail .8 and AA 7 really necessary for such a small render? What if you use .5 and 4 or so and (if necessary) enlarge the render to twice its size? That's my usual method now, and it works fine.

---Dune