TG2 GI Examples Page

Started by dandelO, June 14, 2010, 05:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PorcupineFloyd

Great reading, thanks for your work dandelO :-)

I'm sure it will be very helpful for everybody to understand how lightning works in Terragen 2.

bobbystahr

I echo all the previous comments and emphasize the YOU ARE MY HERO part...learned more in the short time viewing that than in all my experiments...well done man.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Seth

dandelO

Cool, thanks for the pleasant responses, everyone! :)

Dune: Good idea, I'll get around to some more examples shortly, I have another couple of images to update at the end with I think. Then, I'll think about alternative lightings. This is still a kind of limited set of examples, focusing on GI on surfaces and not really the atmospheric side of the envirolight, I might try an atmosphere GI comparison thingy at some point.
It serves some purpose for now, anyway.

Cheers again! :)

bobbystahr

After reviewing the video I had a light bulb moment....what is happening is a 'caustics event' as it's producing, to my eye, a very nice 'Radiosity' [a sorta holy grail render for me] render at the higher levels...am I correct or blowing smoke out my ears again?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

dandelO

Checking the 'GI surface details' is what creates the really accurate shadows and illumination casting from the balls onto the floor. Dark shadows and bright highlights, right around the points-of-contact of each of the casting objects. I've tried with transparency shaders to generate real caustics but, no luck yet, it does appear, very nicely, with luminosity, though.

I have a couple of other renders that I'll placemark in the meantime here, both used 'GI SD' and were(roughly) the same length of render; The settings 'GI - RD=2/SQ=12 + Surface details + extra ambient light' took about 52 minutes for me to render:
[attachimg=#]
And this one, at 'GI - RD=4/SQ=8 + Surface details + extra ambient light':
[attachimg=#]
Took about an hour and 7 minutes.
Both times don't differ that much, for the large difference in render settings, when 'Surface details' is checked. It does add a lot of render time but it's worth it if you need a good, realistically lit close-up, a still life render, car showroom-type-scene, etc.

(The 2/12 render above appears flawed as the shadows seem to disappear closer to the object points of contact in some places, I noticed when it was rendering that the wall, which rendered before the objects, wasn't taking the shadows correctly, the one at 4/8 did fine and, looks very nice, I think.)

dandelO

Quote from: bobbystahr on June 18, 2010, 07:12:26 PM
render at the higher levels...am I correct

I wouldn't say that, pare it back as far as possible! ;) but, to make the best of the lighting, don't use a GI relative detail of '1', if you require lots of important GI details.

If you mean 'higher levels' of render detail, the way I have it worked out in my head(wrongly, 9 out of 10 times) is that, to get matching lighting quality, between different render details, a relative detail of 2/2, at a render detail of '1', is equivalent(in terms of lighting detail) to GI of 4/4, at render detail 0.5. Is that right? I've never studied the actual 'relativity' to the render detail of GI relative detail. ??? :D

bobbystahr

Hmmmm...lots to mull over here whilst I find an interior scene to try this out with...what did you use for the extra ambient light btw?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

latego

Quote from: bobbystahr on June 19, 2010, 02:00:03 AM
Hmmmm...lots to mull over here whilst I find an interior scene to try this out with...what did you use for the extra ambient light btw?

...the Cornell Box http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/online/box/?

Bye!!!

Oshyan

Very useful reference. Perhaps add it to the wiki? ;D

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on June 19, 2010, 03:33:23 AM
Very useful reference. Perhaps add it to the wiki? ;D

- Oshyan

Indeed.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

dandelO

Here's a quote from near the bottom of the GI examples page, Bobby:
Quote*** Extra ambience comes, in this case, in the form of a negatively scaled(inside-out), white sphere, encapsulating the entire scene(Just like a scaled down version of the default 'background' node, which you can use for this purpose in a regular landscape shot). A tiny amount of luminosity is used on this capsule-sphere(0.005). This helps to bounce more light around and add some extra lighting to everything, without increasing exposure or raising the 'Envirolight' GI strength settings, similar to the way a photographer would use a white-reflector to do the same job. Luminosity values for the reflector sphere are subjective according to scales etc, I found that at this smaller scale(a capsule sphere of -25m enclosing the 10m room) higher luminosity values than 0.01 were easily blowing-out all the lighting/shadow details, the final setting of 0.005 that I ended up with just gives a nice little boost to the ambience. Quite nice and not too heavy on the renderer.

A wee bit luminosity on this capsule sphere bounces a bit more light around the entire scene, it adds practically nothing to the render time and brightens things up quite nicely.

Oshyan: Indeed, I have already done this when I'd posted it here, it's listed under 'TG2 Tips and Tricks', the last entry so far... http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Terragen_2_Tips_and_Tricks#Global_Illumination_Examples_page

bobbystahr

Thanks dandelO...dunno how I missed that.. ...good trick btw.. ....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: latego on June 19, 2010, 02:55:17 AM

...the Cornell Box http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/online/box/?

Bye!!!

LOL..thanks but I meant one I have on my drive already.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New