Road Trip WIP

Started by gregsandor, June 21, 2010, 05:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsandor

Here are a couple of quick renders of the environment I'm building.  The diner, gas station, and motel were all built around 1953.  From the look of it they must have used the same contractor or supplier:  they all have that same kind of stonework (and I've seen it on other diners and motels from that era.)  Anyway I think its kind of an all-American scene -- road culture.

They are based on this location:  http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=40.252823,-86.699425&panoid=ABkncChW1LGKVczbZEuSMA&cbp=12,38.73,,0,5.92&ll=40.252886,-86.699499&spn=0,0.006947&z=18

gregsandor

The terrain covers a lot of ground with a long stretch of highway cutting across it, centered on the diner.

FrankB

very cool, this is looking great. Very convincing already, reminds me of how roadside places look like in the US :)

Cheers,
Frank

Henry Blewer

Good work. It would look more convincing with random weeds growing around the building foundations. The lighting is really well done.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

nvseal

Wow, fantastic work you're doing on this. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

Oshyan

Very refreshing to see a different type of scene attempted, and so far it's looking quite good. Looking forward to seeing this one develop. :)

- Oshyan

inkydigit

I wanna go hitch hiking!
very good results here, did you make the models yourself?

domdib

The first shot in particular is very good.

gregsandor

Thanks for all the nice compliments.  

The terrain base is a DEM, then for my area of interest I hand drew a detailed elevation model using an orthophoto as a guide.  There's an additional displacement map to raise the roadbed and give the pavement the required slope out from center, plus one for potholes, then a further masked layer of displacement for cracked pavement.

I modeled all the man-made objects including Shirley's Diner, the Union 76 station, the Lincoln Lodge, (how's that for a patriotic group of names?) grain elevators, roadsigns, utility poles, houses, and even a couple of house trailers in the distance.  I posted my corn model in another thread a while ago.  Most if not all of the textures I've made too.

Kadri

Especially the first and second image are very nice , Gregsandor !
This could be one of the winners . The judges will have tough time .
There are quite a variation now in the submissions :)

Seth

oh my !
very good job !
nice to see someone doing something very different as our usual production ^^

Zairyn Arsyn

tgout01 looks like a photo, probably cause of the lighting.

the grass, roads and signs look pretty photorealistic :)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

gregsandor

More painting maps to destroy my perfectly paved road. They need more contrast to stand out better but the cracked pavement is in place. I've spent some time looking at real road work. Also the large patches and crack patching is coming along on the main roads; they are darker and have slight bump and more spec.

Now there are three types of grass, short dry stuff for edges near roads and buildings, nice mowed lawn stuff, and taller weedy stuff for ditches and field edges where the mowers don't go.

Oshyan

That's a remarkably realistic urban environment. Especially in a landscape rendering app. ;D

- Oshyan

domdib

The road cracking is very cool - will it show up in the actual animation though?