Object placement in populations and render quality

Started by bigben, March 20, 2007, 11:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

I haven't tried this with the update yet (will give it a go tonight), but I noticed this behaviour with object populations...

The placement of objects within a population depends in part on the object quality setting for the population. If you render the file after changing the object quality, all of the objects will be in different places. This means that you have to set the object quality at the desired setting for your final render, and reduce the render quality if you want to speed up a preview.

It would be nice if this didn't happen so that you could preview other surfacing at reasonable quality settings in relation to the objects around them (without having to wait for a high quality render of the objects)

While this may not be a problem for some projects, it can be if you're planning an animation through a forest and forget to set the object quality. I'm also hoping to use lower quality trees at a set distance from the camera to try and speed things up a bit, but this won't work if the trees move suddenly at the border of the two populations.

Oshyan

I've not heard of nor seen this happening. If it is indeed a reproducible issue then it's certainly a bug and will be remedied in the future.

- Oshyan

bigben

Checked last night and it's not a problem any more.  Maybe I had done something as at the time  :-\

Oshyan

Odd! Definitely let us know if you see it again.

- Oshyan