Interface Improvement: Learning Lesions from Computer Games

Started by Cyber-Angel, March 10, 2007, 08:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Angel

I have read a number to threads on this forum about making the interface in TG2 essayer to use, would it not be possible to see what lesions the design of interfaces for computer games could be learned and applied to TG2 as out of the necessity of great game play and a positive playing experience computer games have to have easy to use interfaces.

I am going to open this up to all you gamers and even those people on these forums who are both Terragen users and game interface designers to comment on this.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

MeltingIce

Check out some videos for the map editor for Crysis.  It lets you freely move around the map and place objects simply by dragging them into the view window.  You can then jump straight into your map for testing, which is cool as well.  Hammer works alright, but theres a lot of things about it that bug me to be honest.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

Cyber-Angel

What I had in mind is how principles taken form the games industry maybe applied if applicable to TG2, what I have in mind is easy of use, human-computer interaction, interface usability etc.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

DiscoBall

Oh man, the map editor for crysis is like that?

That's gonna be real sexy.

Oh and on topic: TG2 is mainly a developer program - I highly doubt it would be used for games (though if it was, I'll definately buy that HD game :P)
The interface is already quite easy now - there's different tabs for different uses, and you could open up TG2 for the first time, play with it for 5 minutes, and ta da- your off to making great pictures.

Although I do think the Alt + Middle Mouse Click functions are quite hard and sometimes tedious, it's pretty good right now, don't you think?

Edit: Was checking out a website and found the new crysis videos! Oh man those lightrays are awesome!

duff

I don't think games can really be compared here since you rarely, if ever, have such a complex set of options and ways of applying them (although I must admit I'm an FPS fan so maybe some of the more involved RPGs do). You would be better off cherry picking the best bits from similar applications. Commonality is a winner every time when writing user interfaces and unless you can find a really clever way of doing something (in which case everyone else will copy it and it will become common) you should stick to what others already do.

I think there are 2 areas for discussion here though. There is the User Interface in general and the specific preview window area and how this can be made more useful for developing the scene.

With respect to the general UI I would say docking windows are a must, these things are great once you are used to them and most of the current windows/dialogs etc could easily be changed to docking windows. The only real gripe I have with the current UI is the fact that a slider may go between 0 and 1 and you really want to enter 1000. Also some values using unconstrained input boxes where certain parameters create issues. From other threads though I think planetside are already addressing this and it is only to be an issue with the TG2TP.

As for the preview window, this is the only application I have used like this (unless you count Sim City!) but I would like more control over the objects here and also 2D projection views (i.e. top, right, left) so that positioning things is easier, especially as it would be simpler to get height and slope info from a 2D projection.

ProjectX

I've been using UnrealEd for a while now (Caution: mod pimp! PLAY UNWHEEL! Mod pimp over.), and that has a useable interface for complex editing, although I find terragen's interface easy to use (apart from positioning things). The only thing i'd request is a set of orthagonal windows which render a very low-res wireframe of the terrain for object placement and movement.

Cyber-Angel

In the computer games industry ease of use is of prime importance in the design of a games interface, what I mean by this is the user interaction and usability of the interface which denotes a specific mental model to the user of how it is meant to be used and more over there has to be transparency of use.

By transparency of use I mean the interface should do as expected and allow the user to concentrate on task, not having to think about the software and how it is used which is a major course of productivity slow down and if taken across the entire working population of any given country over a year, that is going to an impact on the GDP for that year.

Software such as 3D software and CAD software has traditionally had a reputation for making the user work the way the software wants that user to work and not the other way round, having features in places other than where the user would logically expect to find them, this is starting to change but slowly.

When I started this thread, my intention was to see if any lessons from the design of game interfaces could be used to make improvements to the interface in TG2 which is close but still doesnt get a cigar as it where.

There is always room for an application's interface to improve and this is an area where it shouldn't stay still as you should always assume that some one some where is developing a rival application to your, with a better interface.

What it comes down to people is this it is at the end of the day the user experience that determines weather or not some one continues to use that software or not; the software industry is replete with tails about people returning software to the store where they brought it, or software been uninstalled and the box gathering dust on a shelf or attic.

It is the user experience that I am really interested in and have been for many years and will continue to be so, I hope I have cleared up any misconceptions in regards to this thread.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Oshyan

Quote from: duff on March 11, 2007, 05:09:33 AM
The only real gripe I have with the current UI is the fact that a slider may go between 0 and 1 and you really want to enter 1000. Also some values using unconstrained input boxes where certain parameters create issues.

In most cases the slider limits (0-1 or similar) are intentional and are meant to provide "reasonable defaults" to guide the user. In regards to this as well as the latter issue TG2 is designed to be extremely flexible and naturally some possible settings are going to cause issues. If something is actually going to cause a crash with say negative values, then we'll certainly be limiting this in the final version, but generally speaking "outlandish" settings are going to be possible because they will at least in some cases produce interesting, useful results. The setting ranges on the sliders are, as I mentioned, intended to establish the reasonable range of values, beyond which experimentation is possible but not necessarily recommended. Do note of course that not all sliders have "reasonable defaults" setup yet.

As for the rest of this thread, I honestly don't think comparison to computer game UI's is very useful. The purpose and interaction methods are largely disparate. There are of course some similiarities - you could say the 3D preview could act a bit like a First Person Shooter for example - but the needs of that interaction system, let alone the rest of the UI, are very different and only the baseline "spirit" of game UI design may be applicable; i.e. simplicity and ease of use. But that is theoretically the design goal for any application.

While I agree that some programs, particularly certain categories of application like CAD programs, may hve historically required the user to adapt to their methods rather than "change with the times" or work toward easier interaction methods, not only is this changing now, but in many cases there was solid reasoning behind this approach as well (e.g. a large base of previously trained workers for whom the new interface would have been an impediment and a significant cost for retraining).

When you have a new application that is creating its user interface largely from scratch you have a unique opportunity to do things differently, and hopefully better than before. At the same time the application itself and its user base are in flux so it can be difficult to hit this moving target. Inevitably the next revision of any such "new" application will improve on the previous attempt, and this is usually the case for the first few versions of a new application. MojoWorld is a pretty good example of this. MojoWorld 1.0 had a fairly unique UI approach and it worked rather well in some cases, poorly in others. In 2.0 and 3.0 they greatly improved on that original system, increasing usability, speed, stability, and flexibility. TG2 and beyond will evolve in the same way.

I think one key point missed in all the discussion here, that I touched on just now, is that "good" user interface design is not necessarily universal, and this becomes more so with increasing complexity of the application or device. The more complex something is, the harder it is to design an interface that will "work" for *everyone*. The best you can do is hope to reach the majority of people with an accessible UI, but compromises will always have to be made, and ironically what you do to cater to one group of users will often alienate another.

This is one of the biggest challenges of UI design - not knowing how to make it "better", because better is a somewhat fluid concept - but rather knowing which compromises to make to satisfy the majority of people, and most of all being willing to deal with the response when inevitably not everyone will like it: knowing that you did the best you could given the needs of the application and the diverse user base.

This is particularly true now of TG2 with the legacy of TG 0.9, an application with great notoriety for being easy to use - and consequently having a large hobbyist userbase - yet not necessarily hugely powerful. TG2 is trying to expand that power significantly, but there is a clear cost in ease of use. We could have removed much of the power and flexibillity and just increased render quality and capabilities over 0.9, making for a sort of "Terragen 0.9+", but that would only have kept the market we had. We want to expand the market, reaching high-end users in the effects industry and other professional graphic arts industries for example. There were some good (and many not so good) reasons these people often did not take TG 0.9 seriously for use in their professional work, and one of those was the lack of flexibility. Putting the TG2 rendering engine into a TG 0.9 UI would not have given those people much to be interested in.

Ultimately we are working to serve both markets and more, and the UI of TG2 will evolve, as I said. And while I think it's good to take lessons from other industries and applications (particularly other applications), TG2 is also fairly unique in many ways and the solutions to our issues will likely be somewhat unique as well. Looking at the actual problems, perhaps finding parallels in other applications or systems, and then devising *specific* solutions will be the most productive way of improving the program. Largely academic philosophical debates about what *could* be learned from entirely different design paradigms are interesting but will not usually yield anything that can be applied practically.

- Oshyan

Will

speaking of interface debates have you guys seen the one over at CGTalk about the upcoming release of Zbrush 3? Its gotten really opionated between Zbrush and Mudbox users.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

duff

Oshyan

With my comment about sliders I was generally meaning the ones which have a large value as defualt, but then have a range much smaller. Off  the top of my head the only one I can think of is planet radius but I think there are several others.

Have you thought of using nobs instead of sliders. My other hobby is making music and the applications I use (cubase, reason, etc) use nobs for input which I find really easy to use. When large values are required these can 'spin' rather than be scaled between 2 values over 360 degrees or alternatively have different curves applied dependent on angle of turn. I.e starts of in small steps for +/-45 degrees then larger steps for the next 100 odd degrees, before having huge steps for the last few degrees (this may just be an exponential curve though). This obviously resets when the mouse is released so you can easily twist to a large value then fine tune.

But as you say a good UI is very often personal taste so that may not be to everyones liking. 

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

DiscoBall

Yep. That's the one I saw...coincidentally after my post :P lol

I have seen lots of Crysis videos before - however that depth of field scene and those lightrays were AWESOME! The vehicle system was pretty good too :)

RealUser

A bigger Node View would be of great use! With complex node structures, you are pretty fast out of space and it is hard to get an overview when zoomed out and you can't read anything because it is too small. What i always liked in many UIs, was to pick an option or function in different ways. Let's say pop-ups, RMB-menus, floating menus, short-cuts, tabs, custom environments can be useful for certain tasks, customizable menu-bars. This way, everyone can "design" his own interface to his needs. The shader view should be greatly improved. It has no drag and drop functionality, pushing a layer/shader up or down works just once and then you have to click on it again. A visbility option (see Photoshop) would be nice. Multi selection doesn't works. A very good function which i know from Realsoft3D is: drag and drop an object from the layer view to the modeling/preview window and voilá, the view is centered to this object und you can edit.
There are many other things i can think of, but i would say lets wait for the next version and see what happened ti the UI.

Regards,
Markus
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

stevehmeyer

Interesting topic.

Game interfaces are optimized for quick reactions in  rapidly changing game environment not necessarily under the control of the participant, while an interface like TG2 becomes optimized (after revisions as mentioned by Oshyan) for optimum workflow efficiency for modifing an environment completely under the control of the participant.  They are at opposite ends of the spectrum, but each can learn from the other.

Knobs? not for me, why substitute two dimensions of motion (circular motion is the resultant of horizontal and vertical components) for a single dimension when using sliders?

I too would like to see more work space and in an earlier post I mentioned views that could be "undocked" (a term I think I picked up from World Construction Set), moved to a second monitor and expanded to full screen.

After some use of TG 0.9 and quite a bit of "play time" with TG2 I think the potential for TG2 becoming a professional tool is great. It makes great clouds.

The biggest challenge to me at this point (beyond becoming familiar with what the control parameters do and how they interact) is 1. beter control of the form and position of clouds and 2. alpha channels so I can create cloud image sequences and composite with elements from different apps.

Steve Horstmeyer