Exporting a Heigtfield map?

Started by Chimera, March 11, 2007, 07:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chimera

Hi There,

Does anyone know how I can export a Black & White image to be used as 'n displacement map in Maya? Is this Available Yet?
I figured a would make a shader with the lowest part of the mountains all black and the highest all white, then fade the white. Then I would set-up a orthographic camera looking down and render the image. I also disabled the atmosphere.
Doesn't seem to work as the diffuse gets in the way. Nice way to render quick textures though. If only the resolution wasn't limited to 800x600.

Oshyan

The only convenient way to export TG2 terrain data to non-native (.ter) format is the Heightfield to LWO node. You can also use the LWO Micro-exporter, but both export geometry. The .ter format is a heightfield format, virtually equivalent to a displacement map, and if you used Terraconv (http://koti.mbnet.fi/pkl/tg/TerraConv.htm) to convert to 16 bit TIFF you could probably use that as a displacement map in Maya, however .ter export depends on the terrain being a heightfield. As far as I can tell the Heightfield From Shader node isn't working properly (or consistently, at least) at the moment, otherwise I'd suggest using that first, then saving a heightfield.

In any case if your terrain *is* a heightfield, or you can get the Heightfield From Shader node to work, then all you need to do is right-click and Save Terrain As to get a .ter, then use Terraconv to convert.

Better import/export options should be available for the final release.

- Oshyan

Chimera

Thanx for the reply.

I am looking forward to that in the final release. As this is all I am going to use Terragen for.