pixelmap

Started by W!m, March 11, 2007, 07:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W!m

I am trying to render a scene with a resolution of 7087x4724, that is 40x60 cm with 300 dpi. but I get a message that its unable to allocate pixelmap.
With the "old" terragen this whas never a problem. Can somewone help me with this?

bigben

I think (therefore I could be wrong) that until the renderer is optimised further there is a greater risk of running out of RAM during a render. There would appear to be several factors including the quality settings, number of objects, complexity of the terrain, field of view and render size. For my high res QTVR test I ended up having to render 10° tiles at 100x100 pixels, with RAM usage still going up to 1.1Gb during a render. (TG crashes on my system at around 1.25Gb)

You could tile your render into smaller chunks and then stitch them together. If you do, also read this workaround for potential GI problems http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=580.0

Oshyan

That's an extremely large image to be rendering, especially in this pre-release version of TG2. I'm afraid you are likely to be unable to accomplish any such rendering at this time, although if you had 4+GB of RAM and were running on a 64 bit system (useful for the better memory allocation), then you might have a chance. Improvements in memory management and renderer optimizations should make such large images possible, perhaps using a 'render to disk' function, but those possibilities will not be available for some time.

You should also keep in mind a few things. First of all TG2 has much higher detail possibilities as compared to TG 0.9, and the old "downsampling trick" is no longer necessary to achieve maximum detail. So if you were intending to render at this size then downsample for best quality, you can effectively halve your rendering resolution. If this target of 40x60cm at 300dpi is really what you require, you should also keep in mind that few printers that print at that size actually effectively use a full 300dpi. Most use approximately 150dpi for poster prints of that size, and in general this results in an extremely high quality image, despite the lower resolution than may be expected. Generally speaking such large images are viewed at a much greater distance than an equivalent photo print of even 8.5"x11" (21.6x28cm), so the corresponding dpi can be lower for equivalent percieved quality. I've recently received a poster-sized print created from a 150dpi file and I think most people would be hard-pressed to tell the difference from 300dpi at normal viewing distances.

If you still must have this resolution and want to attempt the full render Ben's advise is your best bet. Unless you're willing to wait for the final TG2 release with which I'm sure you'll have more luck.

- Oshyan

W!m

Quote from: Oshyan on March 11, 2007, 10:55:52 PM

If you still must have this resolution and want to attempt the full render Ben's advise is your best bet. Unless you're willing to wait for the final TG2 release with which I'm sure you'll have more luck.

Thanks for the answers. The renders are used to make a photoprint, and the size is necessary or els the get lost in the place where they going to hang.
I was confused because terragen 0.9 had no problem with this resolution, and i dont no what a pixelmap is.
cheers.