Like Flames

Started by FrankB, March 12, 2007, 06:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

... forgot to say, I have uploaded another image here:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1400778

I'd appreciate if you would leave a comment at renderosity. Thanks!

Frank

old_blaggard

I'm not a big believer in Renderosity, so I'll just say "Great job" right here :D.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

I left a comment.  Nice job.

??? - old_blaggard...wish to elaborate?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Renderosity is really huge and thus doesn't have nearly the tight-knit community that sites like Ashundar and (to a lesser extent) this one have.  I also keep track of several forums already and so I don't really have the time to get involved over at Rendo, and because of the kind of person I am, that means not doing anything on it at all ;).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Thanks old_blaggard.  I understand being busy and we have only so much time to get the best we can while we're here.  No sweat, dude.  Hope you enjoy what you're doing.    :)

Oshyan

My only real beef with Rendo now that they finally improved the forum system is that they usually require registration just to even *view* the forums or galleries. So while you do get a lot of feedback posting there (although IMO little of it very useful), you must either post your image somewhere else that is open to the public, or require all your potential viewers to be registered at Rendo to even view your images. So posting a Rendo image here assumes people have Rendo accounts *just to view*. That seems a bit much to me. All the advertising is a bit annoying too, but fairly easy to ignore (although it does make it look like you're browsing a potentially unsavory site if a friend happens to walk by!).

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

Renderosity have had the password system on the galleries since I joined in 2003 and it is only recently since the redesign of the forums 2005/6 that they have required you pass word for the forums, even the chat room is now password protected.

As to the advertising it must be remembered that Renderosity has an E-Commerce component to their business and I suppose that with a site as large and complicated as Renderosity, you have to have some way of paying for the large bandwidth required to run a site like that.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Oshyan

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on March 12, 2007, 07:16:41 PM
Renderosity have had the password system on the galleries since I joined in 2003 and it is only recently since the redesign of the forums 2005/6 that they have required you pass word for the forums, even the chat room is now password protected.

Yes, I can't quite understand the change to password-protected forums. Almost every other such community allows at least open viewing; obviously open *posting* is a major spam risk. Open viewing encourages people to register by showing them what the community has to offer.

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on March 12, 2007, 07:16:41 PM
As to the advertising it must be remembered that Renderosity has an E-Commerce component to their business and I suppose that with a site as large and complicated as Renderosity, you have to have some way of paying for the large bandwidth required to run a site like that.

It's not so much the existence of advertising as the nature of most of it - scantily clad poser figures. It just gives it an unnecessary sexual undertone and I think it gives people the wrong impression of a lot of the content there. Many people I know don't take Renderosity "seriously" as a community because of the oversaturation of sexual content, even in areas of the site that have little or nothing to do with such products and services. It's mostly down to the advertising as the Terragen, MojoWorld and to a lesser degree the Vue forums and galleries largely avoid these issues, but the advertising remains, so this undesirable content is unavoidable.

In contrast sites like CGTalk, DeviantArt and many (perhaps even most) others generally maintain much more tasteful advertising, in addition to having open forums (for viewing) and publicly viewable galleries. Renderosity is not alone in its bandwidth and storage space challenges - CGTalk and DeviantArt in particular both eclipse Renderosity's registered and participating member numbers, I believe, and are thus likely to have greater storage and server needs. Yet both are much more open than Rendo at the same time, so it is clearly a conscious choice in their part, and not one I fully understand; certainly one I don't agree with.

- Oshyan

3DGuy

Quote from: Oshyan on March 12, 2007, 05:43:05 PM
My only real beef with Rendo now that they finally improved the forum system is that they usually require registration just to even *view* the forums or galleries. So while you do get a lot of feedback posting there (although IMO little of it very useful), you must either post your image somewhere else that is open to the public, or require all your potential viewers to be registered at Rendo to even view your images. So posting a Rendo image here assumes people have Rendo accounts *just to view*. That seems a bit much to me. All the advertising is a bit annoying too, but fairly easy to ignore (although it does make it look like you're browsing a potentially unsavory site if a friend happens to walk by!).

- Oshyan

Umm you're right about the forums, but I can view galleries just fine without logging in. Just see the link in my signature. Should take you right to my gallery even when you're not signed in. I do stay away from the poser side :D I just stick to photography with the occasional side step to TG or 3D.

Oshyan

Quote from: 3DGuy on March 12, 2007, 07:56:10 PM
Quote from: Oshyan on March 12, 2007, 05:43:05 PM

- Oshyan

Umm you're right about the forums, but I can view galleries just fine without logging in. Just see the link in my signature. Should take you right to my gallery even when you're not signed in. I do stay away from the poser side :D I just stick to photography with the occasional side step to TG or 3D.

Hmm, it seems you're right. Frank's link above doesn't work unless logged-in. It appears that appending "&member" to the end of a standard Rendo gallery link makes it work. So at least there's a workaround, but still is a bit annoying: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1400778&member

- Oshyan

king_tiger_666

That's a great workaround for those who do not have rendo accounts or don't have cookies enabled saving them from logging in each time.

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

fmtoffolo

my guess from my years in renderosity(never been a very active member,,but always read everything), most people don't like it there because of the comments issues, and oh,  i remember the top 20 fights...lol
Some people took it waaaay to seriously. ;) ::)

PICTURE: The render looks amazing, love the colors and the clouds.
My Terragenn site
www.cgworlds.com.ar

Cyber-Angel

The Top 20 I never really understood that concept other than a great way to fuel a flame war in the forums the new system is an improvement, but only just and there are some people who do not like the new system at all.

I don't like hanging around Renderosity that much any way now days as there is some thing there that I can't quite point to about the Atmosphere there that feels uneasy, but it could be worse.

People there seem vary protective (Overly some times) of their particular cliche which is understandable from a sociodynamic stand point and is prevalent in many social structures.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

FrankB

so.... who of you fellows have actually started with highjacking my image thread for your out-of-place opinions on "Renderosity vs. Rest of the World"?  :D :D :D

No, seriously, thanks for the kind comments from those who actually commented, and for the rest of you: the "me too dislike renderosity" posts have been noted. I may consider them for the future ... or not ;-)

Cheers,
Frank

rcallicotte

Frank, I still like the clouds.   ;D

About Renderosity...this has been helpful.  I've always wondered about the general consensus.  It seems too easy for someone with no experience at all to throw some chicky with no clothes up and then expect accolades.  Understandable why there is a problem here with that.