Like Flames

Started by FrankB, March 12, 2007, 06:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealUser

I commented your pic at Rendo and some more ... Very nice!
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

FrankB

Quote from: RealUser on March 13, 2007, 11:52:39 AM
I commented your pic at Rendo and some more ... Very nice!

yeah I saw that. Thanks man.

Frank

Oshyan

Frank, apologies for contributing to the off-topic posting in your thread. I certainly like your image a great deal, although I do feel there's a certain overly-soft or somehow 2D quality to some of the nearer clouds. It's hard to put my finger on, but something doesn't look quite "right". Nonetheless still one of the better dramatic sunset images around, especially in terms of being unique.

- Oshyan

FrankB

Quote from: Oshyan on March 13, 2007, 01:54:19 PM
Frank, apologies for contributing to the off-topic posting in your thread. I certainly like your image a great deal, although I do feel there's a certain overly-soft or somehow 2D quality to some of the nearer clouds. It's hard to put my finger on, but something doesn't look quite "right". Nonetheless still one of the better dramatic sunset images around, especially in terms of being unique.

- Oshyan

No problem, Oshyan. Everything I mentioned around the highjacking was mean to be funny. I really couldn't care less about it :-)
However, regarding the 2D looking areas: you're right, I've spotted them, too. I think I know exactly what you mean. I can't tell for sure, but I suspect it must have to do with the sun rays, which you can tell from the fine lines that all point towards the center. I'd have to look it up, but I think I have whispy base turned on. Maybe those rays  are illuminating the whispy parts (which is like fog) and they blur out the whole area?

Regards,
Frank

Oshyan

I think your theory about "wispy base" may be right as the bases do seem soft and the light there more diffuse than I might expect. I suppose I should say I've seen things very similar to this in real life, so it's not necessarily a realism issue, perhaps more of an aesthetic preference: I like to see light illuminating harder-edged clouds rather than spreading out in a softer way as in this image.

- Oshyan