Creek Settlement

Started by Dune, July 20, 2010, 02:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Next project is a Roman settlement near a tidal creek at low tide. This is a very early test, in need of lots of work!

domdib

The creek itself already looks convincingly muddy.

Henry Blewer

The creek looks good. I like the coloring also; fall or early spring.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

First update from today's work.

PG

Great improvements, the house doesn't look like it's been washed away now :)
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Dune

QuoteI like the coloring also; fall or early spring.
Exactly what it's supposed to be. But I still have to change the leaf colors.

Dune

Trouble with the mud. Not too bad, but I did some tests to get the best mud, and it seems that a reflective shader with RT reflections ON is the best, though the slowest. You get the trees to cast their sheen on the mud, which is missing in the default shader way. And the 'double' reflectivity of mud and the remaining trickle of water (water shader) interacts, which gives these whitish areas that look like foam, but are not supposed to be there.
I think the best way to speed up render is to crop the mud part and set RT on, and do the rest without reflections at all.

j meyer

Hi,
i had some success removing unwanted effects,working with 2 reflective shaders,
by setting the highlight intensity of one of them to zero (which was not the same
as switching it off btw).Don't know if this will help here,but might be worth
trying.

Hannes

Gorgeous!! I'd prefer something between image 4 and 5. That unwanted fake foam looks great. When there is too much reflection the water looks kind of frozen.

Dune

Thanks j meyer, I'll try some more of that.

Dune

After my little mud test, I did some more, also to get a feeling of the best bumps and cracks. This is using two reflective shaders, like j meyer said, and it seems to work well. The rest is just quickly added to give it some 'smoel'. Didn't want to keep it for myself. Only now I see that the displacement on the foam should me inversed....

FrankB

looks very muddy. Very. Muddy. So great job, I guess ;-)

domdib

choronr

I like what you've done here with the muddy shore line.