Creek Settlement

Started by Dune, July 20, 2010, 02:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

More mud. I wanted to get a more smooth 'gradient' from water to mud, and some remaining foam in puddles. The mud is a bit too warped still, and the (hastily made) poles too rough, but alas. My main problem is now to get the foam to rise more (in the center) like thick foam, but that seems hard without getting harsh edges. I'll keep on tweaking.

choronr

I don't think those poles are too rough - they look perfect to me. The mud looks ok; but maybe less ripples and a teeny bit of displacement. This is looking very good.

Henry Blewer

The poles look very good to me. The roughness will probably look great when you go for the final render.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Another update on the Creek Settlement. Made a wheelbarrow, changed some stuff. But there was a strange ending to this render. It was officially finished, but one area didn't finish all the way.

Kadri

Nice as always Dune  :)
Is there a missing polygon on the left lower part of the big house?

Hannes

Fantastic! I love the details!!

Dune

QuoteIs there a missing polygon on the left lower part of the big house?

That's a shadow.

schmeerlap

A wonderfully detailed scene, I especially like the wee bridge over the stream. I thought at first the water of the stream and puddles was too blue, but that's nothing more than a personal preference.
A crop render of the unfinished bit of the initial render will probably sort that, but I hear what you're saying, a render anomaly.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Tangled-Universe

That's looking really nice, again, Ulco :)

otakar

I've got to ask. How do you create your paths? Are those masks? They look so natural. Nobody does it like you  8)

Henry Blewer

"Nobody does it like you"
Yes, Ulco really raises the standard here. Great looking so far!

inkydigit

loving the paths also, as always it is (all of) the detailing that makes these special!

Dune

I paint the masks in Photoshop, simple as that. Just use the proper tools.

I am also wondering what would take less memory; an internal painted shader 'map' or a small grayscale TIFF loaded into an image map shader.... anyone?

Henry Blewer

I think your image maps are more accurate. I would think it is important for your work. Maybe for the veggies...

Tangled-Universe

I'm not sure what would be the least expensive to render, I'd say...check it out!
But I agree with Henry. The hand-painted masks are much more accurate and offer more freedom. I wouldn't be surprised if it is much faster to create as well.
The painted shader isn't very accurate at all. Just generate a terrain close-up, paint something and then re-paint and you'll see that there will be some spill-over which you orginally did not paint.