Creek Settlement

Started by Dune, July 20, 2010, 02:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

and 0.5 and 4. Too bad, just on the next page...

Henry Blewer

The only differences I noticed in the first two images was that the light plays a little differently off the objects. The water/creek area look a bit more 'real' in the third; to me anyway.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Well, there is a difference in all three, the water in the creek, I left it out in the second render.

Ah, and now that you mention it, you'll see that there's less of the whitish artifacts at the mud and water edges in the high detail render (first compared to third). That's good.

MGebhart

Very nice.

It must take some time to place all the objects without a wire-frame preview. This is one area, when implemented, that will be a big time saver.

Looking forward to the final when you can release it.    
Marc Gebhart

otakar

The first one is clearly superior, though if you only showed the third one, I would still say it's wonderful  8)

Your thinking is very rational, to get even better results you'd have to spend an inordinate amount of time to achieve it, and when it's your living you just have to draw the line somewhere especially when the client's already happy. I do think that upping the quality settings as discussed will show immediate improvement, you may just need a separate machine or two dedicated to rendering :)

I am glad one can live off Terragen work, maybe there is hope in the distant future to get out of the rat race, LOL!

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: otakar on August 17, 2010, 11:32:54 AM
I do think that upping the quality settings as discussed will show immediate improvement, you may just need a separate machine or two dedicated to rendering :)

Did you compare the first two of the comparison with the last version???? It definitely shows improvement!
And I bet it didn't take that very much longer to call it "not worth it".

Dune

You're absolutely right, Martin.

@ Otakar: Luckily I do have a separate machine that can render while I work on something else. Great to see landscapes grow from the corner of ones eye, and not really having to wait.

Henry Blewer

http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Sorry, Henry. Luckily PC's are not very expensive anymore ( I started out with my very first pc at a 1000 euro in 1997, which is now a total slug of course, but prices have dropped and speeds have dramatically increased), and for a small price a decent 2nd hand can run for hours on a render quite happily.

Dune

Here's a final full (but small) render at detail 0.75 and AA6. Time to move to other things. I modeled a great white egret to give it some more interest.

FrankB

What do you use for grasses, Ulco?

Thanks,
Frank

MGebhart

The Egret adds a nice touch. I noticed when viewing the whole scene that you have these little things, animals, people etc. which makes it fun to find all the little details. Where's Waldo?

Keep up the great work.
Marc Gebhart

Dune

Don't look at the grasses (and reeds) too good here, they're very simple things; some wide areas of 2D spikes mainly, actually only suitable for more distant work. I didn't really intend to make this ;-)

RArcher

I think it looks great.  There is a very noticeable difference in the quality settings especially in the vegetation. 

MGebhart

I like the drainage circled in the picture. Nice touch.
Marc Gebhart