Creek Settlement

Started by Dune, July 20, 2010, 02:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Quote from: Dune on August 18, 2010, 11:33:32 AM
Don't look at the grasses (and reeds) too good here, they're very simple things; some wide areas of 2D spikes mainly, actually only suitable for more distant work. I didn't really intend to make this ;-)

hm, what are 2D spikes? Is this an image map or actually a 3D spike? What I like about these grass spikes is that they are yellowish at the bottom and green at the top. At least that's how it seems to my eye :)

Dune

Well, 2D may not be the right description. They are flat elongated areas sticking up, not tubes. So 2D as 3D spikes  :-\ And the color difference might be due to a fractal I attached to this, or the fact that there are 3 or so series of spikes in different colors.
Ah, and if you refer to the 3 or 4 long top leaves right at the front, I hastily painted these in in PS.

Dune

After 120 days I've got a short animation of this. Rendered by MastermindProductions. It's on vimeo, but the quality isn't 'to write home about'. If you're quick, you might be able to download the original file.

Link: https://vimeo.com/45247204

ps. Watch the hens in the end. Although barely visible, they DO move; isn't that cute  :o

RArcher

So many great details.  I really like the way you block out the distance with the fog/cloud.

choronr

I just want to play this again and again; amazing work Ulco!

Oshyan

Very nice indeed. I enjoy the slow camera move, although it does go on a bit too long at the end in my view (nice to linger and see the chickens move, but could do that in fewer seconds, hehe). The shadows are also a bit noisy. I'd have liked to see higher quality render and fewer frames (shorter). But don't let these little criticisms detract from the overall impression, which is very good. I quite like it. It's especially nice seeing the muddy areas in motion, they hold up surprisingly well.

Oh, and the sound definitely adds to it! Good choice. Just need something for the 2nd half.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

This video really shows the quality of your work.
Usually a good TG2 image won't hold up very well once you start moving the camera around and such, but here you can see very well that everything fits :)
Also very nice length of the clip!
Great work Ulco! :)

TheBadger

Love the wall of fog! Thats the part I like best, just love the way it looks.

I think this is the longest TG2 animation I have seen. Its nice because I could just sit back and relax while I viewed it.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Thanks guys. Well, for one of my first animations, I'm quite happy about it.  Some things I don't like; the ugly branch in the start (I'm too close to it), some flickering in the reeds, and the slow move at the end. I really find it hard to get a nice set of control points in the terrain for the camera, I must have started over again 10 times or so. It would be so great if you could pick the red dots and move them around like an object, shift them a little. Yeah, I picked the wrong sound clip, I had another one which was longer.

otakar

That's a nice clip. You always want more dynamics like animal movement, but considering the constraints, this came out very well.