Creek Settlement

Started by Dune, July 20, 2010, 02:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

You're both absolutely right. I don't have time to check this out, so I'll stick with the PS masks. Anyway, they (the veggie ones, indeed) can be reduced significantly from my base and still keep their accuracy. The only thing was that it's fairly easy to paint in some missing area for another few trees to pop up, instead of opening PS again, etc..

Dune

Cooked up some chickens, but I think I need to roughen the grassy river dune. It's too 'mowed' for a Roman environment. Any more suggestions?

FrankB

yes, one more. The front wall of the building has almost the same color as the dusty ground around the house.
Now, until now I didn't even realize there was a wall - instead it seemed to me the building had no wall, just the roof, and I've mistaken the wall for the same dusty ground that's everywhere around the house.

Not sure if I explained this in a way so that anyone else besides me can understand what I mean :D
Just shout if it doesn't make sense and I'll try again :)

Cheers,
FRank

MGebhart

Great work Dune. It sure takes awhile to get something just right. Most of the time I just give up.

Marc Gebhart

Dune

I can't give up, I'm really tenacious (if that's the right word). I want it perfect (within my abilities), and it is a commission, so it should be good.

And Frank, you're right, but these guys made their homes from the dirt they live on. But I might change it slightly, or give the bottom part a more grubby color (by distribution shader+PF). Or grow some weed/grass at the wall base. They probably weren't 'perfect gardeners', these Roman farmers.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on August 08, 2010, 03:04:19 AM
I can't give up, I'm really tenacious (if that's the right word). I want it perfect (within my abilities), and it is a commission, so it should be good.

And Frank, you're right, but these guys made their homes from the dirt they live on. But I might change it slightly, or give the bottom part a more grubby color (by distribution shader+PF). Or grow some weed/grass at the wall base. They probably weren't 'perfect gardeners', these Roman farmers.

If they make it from the dirt they live on, then I'd tend to say the colour should be lighter compared to the dirt/soil because it will dry out.

Dune

That's funny, I was thinking exactly the same as I logged off.

Dune

My commission finalized. Only the people and the white egrets I painted in, as well some smoke from the chimney, and some minor 'repairs'. Rendered at 4500x2250 (9 hours at 0.5 and AA4, GI2/2/8, soft shadows 1 @ 5 samples) it is very nice, which I can't show, unfortunately.

Kadri

So nice ! Sometimes i think we could make comments without fear that this place would look like Renderosity or so  ;D
Wow !

domdib

Thanks for showing this - great scene. Interesting that you could get away with such a low detail setting in the final render - but I guess when you do such a large render, you start picking up the finer details anyway.

Henry Blewer

Will there be somewhere where we can see the whole image? Great work.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

MGebhart

If you want to enhance realism you may want to model two holding areas for the Rams. Normally folks that raise sheep separate the Rams from the Ewes until they are in heat plus keep the Rams separate or they will try to kill each other. You may want to add a Border Collie or a Lama to watch over the Ewes. Lamas are used to protect the Sheep from predators. Lamas get very aggressive when wolves or Coyotes are present.
Marc Gebhart

Henry Blewer

Lamas? They may have had some people from Tibet; lamas are from South America. They might be good with sheep, but the time period for this they would not have been known about.

MGebhart

True however, I did mention adding a Border Collie. Many of the wealthier Sheep breeders did import Lamas. Certainly a Collie would be more appropriate for this scene. 
Marc Gebhart

Henry Blewer

I wonder if collies had been breed at this time. They probably had something similar.