Render Bug and camera and normals bug

Started by DeathTwister, March 13, 2007, 05:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeathTwister

OK this one is kinda hard to explain so I am posting pictures to show you.  I have been messing with a file that an awesome artist shared, but now I have messed with it heavy I have been finding my own problems.  Now I have been getting from tim,e to time some weired anomalies with the terrain kinda going transparent, I have in the past just found a better camera view, but I need to post this one I think. Here is the first image:

Camera is set to 10m for how hi it is, and I had a 37 degree on the X axis.
As you can see we have in Number one and number 2 the Terrain going transparent.  That looks to me like the normals need to be flipped, but as I can see, there at this time is no way to do that to fix this Bug I think, well it looks like a bug from where I sit anyway /smiles.

Also in Image one on Number 3 you can see a line going strait across the screen where the rendering is split up when it enders out.  At first I thought it was like a bunch of Mesa's somehow, but the more I looked at it, the more I realized that is seems to be the camera, or some kind of wiered masking going on???? 
Now in the second Image I am posting, Image 2:

Camera is set to 50m for how hi it is, and I had a 25degree on the X axis.
Now since I went up some I got a diferent look to the whole image, alot of the terrain comes back even though you can still see the dang line going across the screen (Number 2), but also I am still having terrain going transparent on me with the imaging in the terrain (Number 1).  Is there a fix in the next Beta on the works for this? I say this as I am pretty sure now that it is a bug and not me, I am in no mountian, or anywhere near one that I can see, so it should all look fine.  By the way, I am rendering a third version and looks like it will be about a week before it is done, but when I went up to about 80m above the ground, all the anomalies went away, I also changed the x corord, to 17 on the x axis I think, but that in my opinion is flat out creepy to me.  I may post the last render in here when ever it does get done, so far about 25% done and 16 hours render time so far.  I am doing a hi end render and not the low side like the posts. 
Third version seems to not have any gosting going on, not sure why though.

If any fixes for this? I would like to know, but I think it is a bug at this point and not me /winks.....I messed with this like a week before I posted on this trying to deside what it was?????? hahahaha lolol ROTFL, thanks for all your time guys.

DeathTister
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

Oshyan

I'm unclear on what you mean by the terrain "going transparent", but the missing tops on extreme displacement are a known bug with displacement that crosses render tile boundaries. As you've found changing the camera position can help. The issue will certainly be resolved in the future, but not for the next update.

- Oshyan

Will

he might mean the bug where the sun can be see though the terrian. Just throwing that out there.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Oshyan

I see the "transparent terrain" now in image 2, circled area 1. That does look like an issue caused by the camera being inside the terrain. You might try moving the camera forward slightly (rather than up) and see if it helps. If so you may be inside some extreme displacement in that area. Alternatively it may just be an issue of the overall extreme displacement used here which can sometimes cause issues if taken too far.

- Oshyan

DeathTwister

Hay guys,

QuoteThat does look like an issue caused by the camera being inside the terrain. You might try moving the camera forward slightly (rather than up) and see if it helps. If so you may be inside some extreme displacement in that area. Alternatively it may just be an issue of the overall extreme displacement used here which can sometimes cause issues if taken too far.

That is what I was thinking at first, but it does seem to stay there, and I did move )in and Out) to see if I was in anything which looked like I was Ok when I did do a peek about.  But I hadn't thought that maybe I could have some invisible fields from the extream displacement going on, that could account for it allot now I think about it.  When with this final render I moved the camera up to 80m and took another render it all looks OK now from the preview, so either I moved out of the displacement field or I moved high enough to get a good shot, and I am about one eight of the way rendered at max render with having gone 38 hours on my render comp now so far /Arggg /smiles, so I will post when I get one that is in good shape here to share the differences.  Thanks for the input guys, Ya'll awesome guys /smiles...

Quotebut the missing tops on extreme displacement are a known bug with displacement that crosses render tile boundaries. As you've found changing the camera position can help. The issue will certainly be resolved in the future, but not for the next update.

Whew thats good to know it wasn't me /smiles......don't think the other one is either as I have run into this before, but always thought it was me or was in terrain like you said, but now I am leaning the other way that is is a bug of some kind. I am sure it will all get fixed or worked out weather it is me /wry smile or a bug fix, I love this software and know they will gt a handle on it ASAP.  Planetside is awesome, simply awesome.

One thing, it would be nice to have an actual mesh we could see to make sure we were not inside something.  I have a hard time telling sometimes.  also can make it hard to place objects.  Vue is horrible that way and I have to admit Tg2 is way better, but could use a bit of improvement there I think.  Not complaining at all about that by the way, just making observation.

But you all helped me allot and thanks very much, what a great group of Elves we have here /smiles.....
DT
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions