The White Tower

Started by schmeerlap, August 03, 2010, 03:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmeerlap

Back to earth (kind of). Took the exr file into Photomatix for a wee bit of tonemapping. The bushes are by Walli, and the grass clumps are Mr_Lamppost's.
I'm not entirely happy with my masking of the clouds (edges of the masking pf are a bit too well defined).
The White Tower was probably the first film I seen on TV. The only thing I could remember about it before I imdb'ed it was that Lloyd Bridges was in it. It was made in 1950 and was set in the Swiss Alps, although my WT is more likely to be in one of the south-western states of the USA (even more likely to be nowhere in particular (which is probably the best place for it)).

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

RichTwo

The clouds aren't distracting at all.  What draws my attention is the overall texture of the rocks - that is some kind of detail.  I notice there are some dome-like formations, probably due to introducing a PF somewhere as a secondary displacement?  Altogether, a very well composed pice, John.
They're all wasted!

domdib

Absolutely gorgeous rock texturing - I'd love to see a bigger version.

MGebhart

Marc Gebhart

Dune

I like the chalk like look of this. Great landscape (and clouds). It seems like an ancient seabed has arisen. Especially the one point rising up, fantastic. Perhaps a giant fossil would be great to add.

---Dune

schmeerlap

Thanks guys.
Quote from: Rich2 on August 03, 2010, 03:14:17 PM
I notice there are some dome-like formations, probably due to introducing a PF somewhere as a secondary displacement?
Dome and blister shapes come from my use of an Image Map Shader (displacement applied) in cylindrical projection.
Quote from: Dune on August 04, 2010, 03:09:12 AM
Perhaps a giant fossil would be great to add.
Rightiho . . . got the hard hat and goggles, and I'm sure my wee brother has a geological hammer kicking about somewhere.  :)

John

Tangled-Universe

I like the stretched fractals on the tower, nice touch! :)
The clouds are pretty good too, although I find the colours a bit odd looking, maybe due to sun's elevation?

Martin

schmeerlap

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on August 04, 2010, 07:27:35 AM
. . . . although I find the colours a bit odd looking, maybe due to sun's elevation?
Quite right, Martin. That's me messing about again; (tinting) with the cloud Scattering Colour. Leave well alone is the motto.  :)

John