Refraction

Started by Tangled-Universe, August 04, 2010, 04:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: inkydigit on August 05, 2010, 08:50:02 AM
very nice, Martin, I echo the above....now some fishes?

Thanks Jason :) Well...honestly I was thinking about it, but couldn't find nice models.

However, I do have the Red Sea library from XFrog which contains some anemonies and see-weeds.
I tried those and the refraction destroyed their looks too much. I might try it again, but for now I'll move on to something else.

Martin

Kadri

"image-map" ? How could you do that?  ;D

Nice render , Martin !

I am doing a water test image since 2 days and i can't stand the long render times. You are patient really !

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Kadri :) Yes...image-map..I know...shame on me :P
I used a fill-light setup, which is considerably faster than GI. Perhaps that's also the reason why you think it's so slow and why I'm so patient ;)

Kadri

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on August 05, 2010, 09:38:31 AM
Thanks Kadri :) Yes...image-map..I know...shame on me :P
I used a fill-light setup, which is considerably faster than GI. Perhaps that's also the reason why you think it's so slow and why I'm so patient ;)

No i know you are patient ;) But thanks for the tip  :)

Zairyn Arsyn

(jumps in TG2 water) Splash!  :D
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on August 05, 2010, 09:12:24 AM
Quote from: inkydigit on August 05, 2010, 08:50:02 AM
very nice, Martin, I echo the above....now some fishes?

Thanks Jason :) Well...honestly I was thinking about it, but couldn't find nice models.

However, I do have the Red Sea library from XFrog which contains some anemonies and see-weeds.
I tried those and the refraction destroyed their looks too much. I might try it again, but for now I'll move on to something else.

Martin

i have some fish models (in obj format) - a couple to be exact.
but their not mine, there was link to them here on the forums in a post from a few years back
i think the website is down though...

this looks really good, i especially like the sand and the little rocks/pebbles on the bottom
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Hannes

No reason to be ashamed for using image map shaders! When it's faster and the result is good, why not use it?

Dune

I use them all the time (as masks), but I can imagine the aim for purism. Like watercolorists hating to use opaque paint to fix their mistakes.

Oshyan

Detail 2 should be equivalent to .5 underwater I believe. You'd need 4 for detail 1 equivalence, unfortunately. Assuming at least that the terrain detail underwater responds the same as in Raytrace Everything.

But regardless it looks quite good!

- Oshyan

Dune

Wouldn't it be possible to add a slider (+ default as it is today) to increase detail underwater?

Oshyan

Probably, yes. It's something I'd like to do, but doesn't fit into the development priorities at the moment.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Oshyan on August 06, 2010, 01:54:15 AM
Detail 2 should be equivalent to .5 underwater I believe. You'd need 4 for detail 1 equivalence, unfortunately. Assuming at least that the terrain detail underwater responds the same as in Raytrace Everything.

- Oshyan

Are you certain Oshyan? It's really stuck into my brain that the detail multiplier of the watertransparency is set to 0.5. I believe that actually you told me that :)
Anyhow...I'm testing now and it seems you're right as far as I can tell while rendering.
Will show the result later.

Dune

Will you be needing any fish, Martin? I've got some downloaded from this (downed?) site.

---Dune

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on August 07, 2010, 03:22:04 AM
Will you be needing any fish, Martin? I've got some downloaded from this (downed?) site.

---Dune

Thanks for the offer Ulco :)
At the moment I'm working on/finishing another scene and perhaps I'll render it again with even higher settings.

ra

Very convincing work! Great! I really like those "macro" renders.
Mouthwash? We don't need no stinking mouthwash!! [MI2]
See what I see: www.earthlings.com
http://dinjai.deviantart.com

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on August 06, 2010, 05:18:38 AM
Quote from: Oshyan on August 06, 2010, 01:54:15 AM

- Oshyan

Are you certain Oshyan? It's really stuck into my brain that the detail multiplier of the watertransparency is set to 0.5. I believe that actually you told me that :)
Anyhow...I'm testing now and it seems you're right as far as I can tell while rendering.
Will show the result later.

Yes Oshyan, you are right. The multiplier seems to be set at 0.25.
I'm rendering now at 3.4 detail which should be equivalent to 0.85.
After 8 hours nearly done for 60% and it's looking very good :)

Cheers,
Martin