rendering crash

Started by child@play, March 14, 2007, 05:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

child@play

hi!

regarding to the pm i wrote, here's the post with the .tgd attached.

short description of the crash: happens after about 75% of the render finished, happens with and without population, so no problem there. could be a problem with clouds hitting terrain which is directly below the clouds (though not likely, rendered images with clouds interacting with terrain without any problems), or could be a problem with water, or something i just don't see.

thanks in advance for looking into it, no need to hurry, it's only my image-challenge-entry =)

cheers...

perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

bigben

All of the image maps are "through camera". I've had crashes with that before (although it was for a mask of a population) Without the images it's hard to tell if you intended them to be through camera or plan Y, but may be worth checking.

child@play

thanks for the reply, i'll check that.

maybe i remove the image-map on the ground completely, was ment to be a forrest groundcover, but isn't too much visible anyways.

if that doesn't help i'll check the other ones aswell.
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

bigben

My first suspect would be the one on the cloud layer.

child@play

hm, the mapped clouds render fine, it happens when it's rendering in the bottom, in the middle, where the cloud-layer without image map is.

could be clouds/water, maybe i should try removing the lake

will try around after sleeping, already started my overnight-render, hehe

thanks again

Oshyan

I am currently experimenting with the scene. I'll let you know if I find the cause and whether it's a known issue or a new one. :)

- Oshyan

child@play

Oshyan

It appears to be related to the water settings and as such it's probably another instance of the water-related crashes we're already aware of. I managed to stop the crashing by significantly changing the water settings, but it definitely changed the look of the water so that may not be a desirable option for you.

- Oshyan

child@play

ah, i see, thanks for looking into it.

no problem with changing the water-settings, i think i'll remove it completely then for now.

i'll post the results when i finished rendering, here's a teaser ;)

p.s.: but i'd like to have a look at the tgd, so i can see what you had to change, maybe that helps me avoiding this problem in the future

Oshyan

Unfortunately, although I saved earlier revisions in diagnosing the problem, I didn't save the "fixed" version because it changed the water so much. Basically I just changed the roughness, wave size, and other parameters. The lower your roughness the less inter-reflection there is and I think this is a factor in the crashes.

- Oshyan

child@play

ah, no problem.

i'll try changing the water settings then before removing it completely.

cheers...

child@play

tried rendering the scene w/o changes with the new update, still crashes.

just a heads up, was going to remove the water for the final render anyways.

cheers...

Oshyan

The more significant fixes and changes in water rendering will be coming in a future update. Although some changes have already been made, I would not necessarily expect water scenes that previously crashed to work properly now.

- Oshyan

child@play

not necessarily, but worth a try ;)