Making Gas Planets

Started by cbest, August 09, 2010, 12:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbest

Here's a picture of the cube.
Terragen: the universe in 56 kilobytes.

gregsandor

Post the project with the object setup.   This doesnt contain the object loader.  Set it up just as you did when you rendered the box and save it, then post that.

cbest

??? Sorry gregsandor, I don't know too much about Terragen or computers :-[. Can you tell me what you meant by the object loader? Does it mean the folder that I used?

gregsandor

What I mean is for you to post the scene that renders the cube in it.  The one you posted before doesn't have any model in it.

And as for not knowing about TG or computers, you seem to be learning them both fast.  Hang in there. :)

Henry Blewer

Don't give up so soon cbest. We are not all poking in on this thread, but we are reading. We'll all help as we can. Greg seems to be doing fine helping.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

cbest

Okay...here we go.

gregsandor

Try this:

cbest

Thank you! Here it is, but is there a way to stop it from becoming black?

gregsandor

Great!

Now for the next step:  shaders.

First thing you need to do is look in the folder where you exported the .obj model.  Is there a file of the same name as your model, but with the extension .mtl?  That is a material file, it tells TG what materials go to the different parts of your model.

If you have that .mtl file in the folder with your model, you're ready.  Open the Terragen scene that has your model in it, then double click on the model loader (thats the node that tells TG which model to display) and modify the shaders in the model.  Search the forum here for help on how to do that.

cbest

Could you possibly give me a link? I mean, i typed in, "object loader" or "OBJ surface layer" in the Search Menu and I didn't get useful results.
     Thanks again, Chakra.

gregsandor

Quote from: cbest on August 26, 2010, 12:43:41 PM
Could you possibly give me a link? I mean, i typed in, "object loader" or "OBJ surface layer" in the Search Menu and I didn't get useful results.
     Thanks again, Chakra.

What I called an Object Loader is called in TG an Object Reader.  Search instead for information on model shaders, in fact I posted an example file in the files section not long ago.  Download it and look at it to see how to set up basic shaders for a model.

cbest

I see...that would be Weathered Gas Station?

airflamesred

@cbest       
Now you have your model in TG2 doule click on it in the node network> surface shaders . Where you see parts shader - click the + box and 'go to parts shader' Next click the internal network (V) button. This should give you a sub-level mat shader.
This is where you can change the colour, load jpegs etc. This sub layer is usually hidden in the node network because once you get to the standard of gregsandor and other folks here node networks increase in complxity.
If you d/l gregs gas station you'll se what I mean.

Hope this helps

cbest

Okay. Look what I've got now! It actually wasn't too hard. All I did was add a surface shader and connect it to the OBJ.