End of Drought

Started by Tangled-Universe, August 10, 2010, 07:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

It's great, but the title does not fit the image. My eyes are also drawn to the cloud, but it must be the stark contrast against the deep blue sky. Just an observation.  8)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: otakar on August 10, 2010, 05:36:19 PM
It's great, but the title does not fit the image. My eyes are also drawn to the cloud, but it must be the stark contrast against the deep blue sky. Just an observation.  8)

That's perhaps a difference in interpretation. With the title I meant that there's rain coming, hence the building cumulus which means nasty weather is on its way.

The stark contrast is an esthetic choice. I like to have this contrast and even though it will not occur that often in real life that such clouds build up in such a clear sky, it really does happen. The most accurate/logical choice would be a more denser and less bright blue atmosphere, but since I know these situations definitely can occur and that it suits my taste better I chose to do it this way :)

Dune

Fantastic image, Martin. No crits at all from me. To make the one cloud somewhat less stark, you could add some wispy high cloud, as you often see when weather is about to turn nasty.

---Dune

nethskie

very good! no crits for me too just photoshop it with inner shadow it will look so real

Hetzen

Nice vista. My problem with TG clouds is the clamping of fractals with the cloud node. Top and bottom. I have a sneaky suspicion that this scene won't look as good if you panned the camera around. I have some ideas on how you might be able to cookie cut the cloud tops to get some more variation, but always end up with the same problem of adding billows to a basic cloud shape. I have an R&D day tomorrow I'm going to have a play with this, if you're on msn, give us a shout.

Tangled-Universe

That's exactly the problem.
Unfortunately my days off are over, so I'm at work tomorrow.
If you'd like I can send you some settings by e-mail, since I can dream these by now.

Cheers,
Martin

Hetzen

Sod's law  ;D (wiki). I'm going to concentrate on getting shape variation, so your lighting settings will be very usefull on the end run. I had some success with some blues the other day, but I want to have a go and see how a heightfield may work.