Near the Shore

Started by choronr, August 22, 2010, 02:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

A scene near a shore. The following was used creating the image:

•   XFrog palm model which comes with Terragen 2.
•   Dry Shrubs by Walli available at NWDA.  Re-colored using a different color/texture file.
•   Pines by Walli available at Planetside Forum. Re-colored using a different color/texture file.
•   Mouse-eared Chickweed by Walli available at Planetside Forum.
•   Hero Rocks by Frank Basinski available at NWDA and is a part of the stones and rocks file. These were re-colored using a different color/texture file.
•   Smaller stones and rocks by dandelo available at Planetside Forum.
•   Fractal terrain, surface shaders; and, gravel/sand surface by choronr.

I've been wanting to make an uphill scene in a portrait (vertical) format for some time. This one isn't exactly what I wanted;  but, pursued the possibilities. It would be good if Planetside had a vertical preview format option wherein one would not have to crop the image not knowing what its size would eventually be. And, when cropping, it would be useful to know what the cropped picture size would be.

Bob

nethskie

very real looking! i love the sands i wish i could do something like this :D

Follow up question: how long did you render this?

domdib

I echo your request for a feature allowing you to know the size of the crop - in fact, even better would be a feature that allowed you to make a full-size render from a crop (no need to trim out all the black).

This is an interesting render Bob - must be a desert shore. One thing that would improve it - the sand texture pushing up on to the fake stones in the foreground doesn't look very convincing, so would be good to mask that out.

Tangled-Universe

Very good looking Bob!

If you want to mask out the sand texture from your rocks then you should re-arrange some things in your network.
The reason is that the fake stones incorporate the displacements before the last compute terrain which precedes your fake stone shader.
It will also incorporate the textures which precede your fake stone shader.
So if you put the sand-texture/shader after the fake stones then you should end up with with fake stones without a sand-texture.

If you'd like, I can prepare an example for you. But you should have one already by me if I recall correctly (a version of the canyon-pack I sent you a couple of monts ago also uses this strategy).

Cheers,
Martin

choronr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on August 23, 2010, 09:12:09 AM
Very good looking Bob!

If you want to mask out the sand texture from your rocks then you should re-arrange some things in your network.
The reason is that the fake stones incorporate the displacements before the last compute terrain which precedes your fake stone shader.
It will also incorporate the textures which precede your fake stone shader.
So if you put the sand-texture/shader after the fake stones then you should end up with with fake stones without a sand-texture.

If you'd like, I can prepare an example for you. But you should have one already by me if I recall correctly (a version of the canyon-pack I sent you a couple of monts ago also uses this strategy).

Cheers,
Martin
Thanks Martin. I guess what you are saying is hat I should put another compute terrain before the the sand/gravel fake stones to correct the issue.

Additionally, I will lighten the color of the layer the sand/gravel a bit to improve its looks. And, those individual pine trees in the distance need to be replaced with a population via the use of a painted shader. I have not had too good of luck with populations on this terrain - but, will give it another try. Thanks again.

choronr

Quote from: domdib on August 23, 2010, 05:31:57 AM
I echo your request for a feature allowing you to know the size of the crop - in fact, even better would be a feature that allowed you to make a full-size render from a crop (no need to trim out all the black).

This is an interesting render Bob - must be a desert shore. One thing that would improve it - the sand texture pushing up on to the fake stones in the foreground doesn't look very convincing, so would be good to mask that out.
Thanks dom, I'll be reworking this image to try and correct a few things.

Seth

very impressive lighting !!!
the light on the vegetation is really amazing Oo

choronr

Thanks to Tangled_Universe (Martin) for having a look at this file and making suggestions that make this image look a lot better. Additionally, I added two more populations of conifers in the distance.

To eliminate the problem of sand appearing on the rocks, it was a matter of not checking the 'apply color' of the base shader used for the fake stones that represent the sand.

Bob

domdib

Oh yes, this looks really good now!

choronr

Quote from: domdib on August 25, 2010, 04:33:36 PM
Oh yes, this looks really good now!
Thanks Dom. This was another learning experience.

cbest

It looks great, but if you look at those backround trees well enough, it doesn't seem that they have any shadows. Anyway, it is still a good picture; something I probably couldn't do.
Terragen: the universe in 56 kilobytes.

Henry Blewer

I like this Bob. The sand is great.

@cbest: you are just starting. None of us here have learned everything that can be done with T2. Learn one ot two things at a time. In six months you'll be surprised how well your images are looking.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

choronr

Thanks cbest and njeneb for your visits. Close-up images are a challenge; but, they are a great show case for those great vegetation models and rocks. I still haven't been totally satisfied with a few of those I've done; but, will keep trying.

Henry Blewer

I have noticed that closeups of objects really look better with GI settings at 2< detail, and 4 quality. Using this adds to the render time by;... a lot. I use it on my Pentium 4 HT, but the render times get crazy.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T