Wood...

Started by dandelO, August 15, 2010, 08:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Blewer

Impressive. This is very cool.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Great Dandel0, and Richard, here's the pat on the back. PAT. How about a tiny, subtle warp (and vein displacement) to get rough planking? You can do wonders...

glen5700

Dandel0, nice job on the wood - I really like how it's coming along. Have you tried doing any end grain yet?

It will be cool to see how you cooked this shader up.

Glen

Here is an example of some end grain -

dandelO

Cheers, folks.

Glen, the main wood texture, for now, is plain old fractals. I think I'd need to create some kind of warped sine to plan side-on to the desired surface. I hadn't actually thought of the end grains at all yet, I've been keeping my attention to functional masking of separate shaders to apply to a single surface until now. I'll see what this looks like on the end grain, I might be pleasantly surprised.
If not, though, I'll keep this in mind and have a go later on, a good point, that I hadn't considered, cheers! :)

glen5700

My guess would be that it wouldn't work then (hope I'm wrong), you might get pleasing end grain but I imagine it wouldn't be circular rings.

Anyhow your wood is looking great.

Glen

MacGyver

Quote from: glen5700 on August 19, 2010, 09:16:49 PM
My guess would be that it wouldn't work then (hope I'm wrong), you might get pleasing end grain but I imagine it wouldn't be circular rings.

Anyhow your wood is looking great.

Glen

No pun intended I hope ;D
Cheers!
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine