Spikes with Strata and outcrops shader

Started by RealUser, April 03, 2007, 02:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealUser

Hi Folks,
how can i avoid the spikes the "strata ..."-shader produces in some cases? I played around with the setting but with no greater success. Maybe there is a workaround to "push" them back into the terrain?

-- Markus
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

child@play

hm, never heard of strata producing spikes, but there may be a workaround, try a twist and shear with really low lean-factor and a little negative value on the y-axis. maybe post your tgd?
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

Costaud

Spikes like these?

child@play

i think i know which spikes, just had trouble with them this very minute :)

when the strata is a child of a surface layer, be sure to uncheck 'smoothing' in the surface layer
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

Buzzzzz

I've seen this also and I adjusted it via the "Hard Layer Altitude" setting in the Strata Node. Might be worth a try? 

rcallicotte

You might have a displacement setting somewhere that is wreaking havoc with a small fractal setting.  Maybe.  That's what it looks like to me.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

A rendered example would definitely help to understand what the problem actually is - there are many possibilities. My first guess would be similar to others: if you are using any kind of breakup or distribution limitation on the strata you can easily get sharp edges on the displacement it causes, which can result in large areas of dissimilar displacement - spikes, columns, lumps, etc.

- Oshyan

RealUser

The surface shader was a good hint. The spikes are vanished after disableing the distr.-shader. I have to experiment with the settings. Thanks for the help my friends. I will post an image later here.
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser