Proper Exporting terrains for use in 3d packages

Started by SteveScout, September 08, 2010, 11:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveScout

Hi!

Does someone have experience with terrain exporting? I use the great emecstudios script to import 3dsmax cameras into TG2, but in advance to that I need to export the terrain. So far I always did it for testing purposes via the LWO Micro Exporter 01 - took two to three frames where the camera animation roughly will be, rendered them, exported the mesh simultaneously, converted the LOWs to 3ds/obj and imported them into 3dsmax.

Everything fits and is in the right place - BUT the terrain has holes everywhere due to the nature of the micro exporter (who does some kind of "camera mapping" for exporting the mesh), which is a big problem for shadow casting of 3d objects etc.

NOW - is there a way to make this better? I know there is the heightfield exporter to LWO, but this only works directly after the heightfield generate - everything else ("fractal terrain", "compute terrain") which would be applied after the heightfield generate would not be taken into account, so the resulting mesh would look different than the LWO export mesh, right? (and, btw, is at a completely different position and scale in 3dsmax if I do it with the heightfield export)

Does anyone know how to export the complete mesh (not camera view/angle dependant) properly to LWO/whatever format AFTER applying all modifications to the heightfield that form the final landscape?

Thanks so much! So far for test projects I always could live with that "simple" but "hole-scattered" solution, but considering TG2 for real jobs there has to be another way to do this.

thanks!

cheers,
Steffen

Hetzen

First off, you'll need Dreamscape for Max, so that you can import a .ter

You can use the Heightfield Generate at the end of your chain just before your Planet input. Ie, input your node chain into the green HF Generate, which is attached to a new red HF node. Set up the position of your red HF, then in the green HF Generate node, the area you want to sample, and how large in pixels your samples will be, press generate, then right click on the HF Generate node and choose Save. This will give your a .ter of your area.

Now the hard part, you'll need to know what the highest point is within that area, so you know by how much to extrude your terrain in max. Your x,z (x,y in max) will be where you placed your HF node.

I use this approach to set up camera moves from terrain I've made in TG. I haven't used it for shadow passes, as I've usually just used a quad patch. But I see no real reason for this not working.

SteveScout

Thanks for the detailed explanation! If it works that way it would be perfect! I´ll try and post results!

thanks again!

cheers,
Steffen

Henry Blewer

http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

SteveScout

I saw these but somehow they did insert the export note "too far up" in the node tree .. so the model was not really complex.

Oshyan

We will be working on some improvements to the geometry export process for a future update. Among other things it will allow for the option of disabling the back-face culling which is likely responsible for the holes.

- Oshyan