Having trouble getting any type of models into TG2

Started by DeathTwister, March 13, 2007, 05:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeathTwister

Hay guys,

I am having trouble getting .obj's or the 3ds Max exporter plugin by Mantania to work. All I can get out with that plugin is scene and .chan files.  I do not need to bring in Lighting or another camera, and it will not let me export just the model, so I have not a clue as to how that all works from Max into TG2.  Anyone know? The website does nopt help me at all as they really do not explain it very well.

As for the .obj's that I have tried to load in that I exported out in Max to bring into Tg2 crashes Tg2 to the desktop every time like Wam!!!!! looks at desktop.

Does anyone have a good tut on how to export & Import .obj files out of Max into TG2? (I have Max 7) so I can bring a file in that don't crash my sorry arse?  If it is me, I need to know what I am doing wrong, and which boxes to check or not to check.  Forget about 16 materials, I would be happy to get one model in with 1-5 materials /smiles...Importing 3ds files into Tg2 don't work either..If it is Tg2 I need to know so I quit tearing my hear out.  The older I get the less I have ROTFL, lolol.

Is there any Tut's on the exporting/importing and getting the .chan files in? I do not have a clue as to how to use any of them.

But mainly I just want to bring one model in at a time with a .obj reader or a .tg reader.  I have a ton of stuff I want in, but can't get em in so far.  So some really good help and some really good tutorials on this subject would sure help me and I am sure others here right about now.

Thanks all in advace for the help I hope is in coming.
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

rcallicotte

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1008.0 - This is useful, if you read through it.  There's plenty of help.  I used these ideas today and did some simple 3DS conversions to Wavefront and then brought them as they were into TG2.  Once inside of TG2, I was able to manipulate the MTL file by putting 9 of the textures (out of 25) that I didn't want at the bottom of the file.  Then, I re-imported the object and it worked. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

SeerBlue

Hey DT, this link has some info on using Poseray (free) to convert 3ds to obj, read all the way thru as there are some additional steps to get the obj to have the right axis/origin, so populations will set "on terrain" right and single instances will have 0,0,0 at the right point (it appears some 3ds files are modeled with the 0 point at the center axis)  http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=927.0 
so far I have not had any trouble with poseray obj.
Also do a search for Wings 3D in the forums, works great to.Though it is slower to open large files than Poseray.
SeerBlue

DeathTwister

Hay all, Hay brother Seerblue good to see ya agian,

QuoteHey DT, this link has some info on using Poseray (free) to convert 3ds to obj, read all the way thru as there are some additional steps to get the obj to have the right axis/origin, so populations will set "on terrain" right and single instances will have 0,0,0 at the right point (it appears some 3ds files are modeled with the 0 point at the center axis)  http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=927.0
so far I have not had any trouble with poseray obj.
Also do a search for Wings 3D in the forums, works great to.Though it is slower to open large files than Poseray.
SeerBlue

Woo Hoo I am on it and I have noticed yours and Monks posts in here about it as well, this should help me get a handle on this now I hope. Which reminds me I need to email Monks back he sent me a few days ago, been hella busy and forgot.

Brother Calico,  Thanks for the Post and links and stuff, I am on those as well and have a ton of Tuts to go through as well now, so after I get my daily headach I should have it about together ROTFL lololol hahaha.

DT
ATOMIX Productions

DeathTwister

OK guys, getting back to you as promised /smiles.

First off thanks for all the help and links /smiles yaya those all helped me a ton in many ways and always fun to get new software that's free /winks.

OK, I have not only got all your ideas to get things worked out, but I also found another way to get them in if anyone is using XSI 6 softimage.
What I did was export out the dotXSI file to softimage and after I had been working on a Dragon as I am moving most my Dev to XSI I saw that it had a .obj exporter itself so curiosity got the better of me and I exported out the mesh and then lo and behold it dropped into Terragen 2 so slick it was scary.  I just needed to do the fix that Seerblue shared and Monks  and resave file and re point the tex file.  Which I am not sure is needed after you resave the scene but I did it anyway just to make sure. /smiles.  So what I ended up with is this scene I did and now I am starting to have some real fun with this software. /winks...I added more ram to get up to 2 gigs anyway and just downloaded the update version of TG2, I hope to have a killer weekend with TG2 and some Guild Wars I think this weekend. /chuckles.

The Dragon Necropolis deep in the Eskarp Mountains

anyway I thank all of you guys for the help and now I am jamma jammaing so I good. /smiles.......
DeathTwister
ATOMIX Productions

old_blaggard

Nice coloring in this image!  The whole thing seems like it comes right out of a fantasy novel ;).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

DeathTwister

Hahaha Thankies my friend, coming from you Wow a compliment and a half for sure.../bows your one awesome artist yourself my brother.

DeathTwister
ATOMIX Productions