On the beach

Started by Kevin F, September 14, 2010, 02:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

Some really nice textures going on there. Did you paint in your masks? You might want to have some falloff on your wet line, although, it's quit possible for sand to act like this sometimes. Maybe a combination with the displacement?

Lol at the leaches. Maybe a hero leach for focus?

nethskie

awesome i like the shore water effect i don't know how those were done  :D

Kevin F

Quote from: nethskie on September 21, 2010, 06:52:38 PM
awesome i like the shore water effect i don't know how those were done  :D

Easy method, but difficult to get right! as you can see from my poor efforts.
Here's a clip of the nodes I used - the most important thing is applying the painted shader in the right amount and to the right places!

domdib

What impresses me most is the displacement on the sand - how did you do this?

Kevin F

Quote from: domdib on September 22, 2010, 08:47:31 AM
What impresses me most is the displacement on the sand - how did you do this?

Thanks, it's a modification of a file posted here by Adiwan (search for Sand Ripples Adiwan), I suppose I should have credited him/her, but the file was changed so much to achieve the effect I wanted.
Thanks now if it's not too late!
I changed most of the values and colours to suit, but found that the main displacement in the surface layer (in the .tgc) needs only a very small displacement with a smaller negative offset. This offset gave me the ridged footprint like depressions.
Or do you mean the slightly sunken wet sand strip - This was a separate layer layed over the offset sand ripples using the painted shader for placement control.

rcallicotte

I like the rock and the boat needs to be better lit or better textured.  The foreground rocks look too plastic.

The lighting is brilliant and the whole is well done.  Good perspective.  Good setting.  Cool birds.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Kevin F

Quote from: calico on September 22, 2010, 04:47:46 PM
....  The foreground rocks look too plastic.

I agree.  I find it very difficult to get wet looking rocks that don't look like plastic.

Thanks for the positive comments though. ;)

Dune

QuoteI find it very difficult to get wet looking rocks that don't look like plastic.
Perhaps blend the wetness by a power fractal, to lessen its coverage.

Kevin F

Quote from: Dune on September 24, 2010, 02:23:22 AM
QuoteI find it very difficult to get wet looking rocks that don't look like plastic.
Perhaps blend the wetness by a power fractal, to lessen its coverage.

Can this be done to .obj's? Or would you use the reflectivity function or specular roughness function (whatever they are!)?

Dune

I always use tgo's but I think it should work on obj's as well. Indeed, use the reflectivity function/roughness to experiment with. You could also try making a surface layer under the default (between the two nodes), uncheck its color and add a reflective shader as its child, blend the surface layer by another fractal. Hope this gets you on the way.