File Sizes

Started by lmcmanus, February 11, 2011, 06:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmcmanus

I am looking for software to create photo realistic terrain images. I need to create files that are 4500 x 7200 pixels at 150 dpi. Can I do this in Terragen 2.

dhavalmistry

yes you can! :)

I hope you have enough patience or a good machine! :D
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

lmcmanus

That was going to be my next question. Will a Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad Core with 8 GB of memory and an ATI Radeon HD 5870 be good enough? I could get away with creating files at half that size and then rezing them up. These images will be backgrounds in my aviation images and should not be tak sharp. ( see http://www.larrymcmanus.com )

Dune

Should work fine, especially if you don't need much detail/sharpness. I have an older less capable machine and it turns out very detailed renders of 4000x6000px. Just set detail at 0.5 and AA at 4.

PorcupineFloyd

There is virtually no limit in resolution when doing procedurals. Problems start when you have many populations. Since TG2 is still 32 bit only, you can run out of memory if using many different models in one scene.

lmcmanus

I appreciate all your information. A lot of my scenes would be from the air, above the clouds with various landscapes seen through them. Would that make a difference in processing?

PorcupineFloyd

It shouldn't pose any problems :)