Feature Request: Render Time Mask Images As User Option

Started by Cyber-Angel, March 17, 2007, 09:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Angel

While looking in the TG2 images temp folder I noticed that there are mask images of the terrain that get rendered automatically at render time, which must surely contribute to the render time amount to a greater or lesser degree.

My feature request (If technically possible and also feasible) is could we have an option in the preferences or some where else to:

1: Keep the current default of automatic generation of these mask images.

2: Only Render Mask Images if selected to do so by the user with the following options:

a: Render the entire terrain (as now) as a mask image.

b: User defined area for mask image generation (A particular slope for example) this feature could be useful for the placement of populations, rocks (Including boulders when we get the boulder generator), object/s or even shaders to specific areas useful for individual users and in production environments.

This feature should should be available at both render time (Memory, CPU loading etc allowing) as now or as a separate pass after main rendering is completed to save CPU time and speed up rendering.

3: Enable Toggle (Cheek Box).

If there is no time to implement or developed to a usable state this in the first iteration of TG2 please keep this request in mind for one of the many up dates of TG2 that I am sure that will come out between when TG2 is released and TG3 the next major version release.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

Oshyan

There is no noticeable render time increase for outputting the alpha images. The only reason to disable them would be to save the space they take up being generated automatically every time. In the future you'll have lots more options for what files to output, including depth buffer, etc.

- Oshyan