Looking back (gnarly strata)

Started by Mahnmut, September 26, 2010, 04:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahnmut

I know I must be learning,
but I can render old projects while doing so.
Didn´t like that one when I first made it, but today I think it´s worth posting.
I think I didn´t post it yet.
Bush is "Pinus Nigra"

Old Version
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/5027287880_0af6b70da8_b.jpg
Scroll down for new!

C&C are welcomeas always,
best regards,
Jan

Saurav

Strata displacements are very natural looking.

schmeerlap

I also like this gnarly strata, and the pov you've given it.  Did you use just the one Strata shader?
It's given me an idea to go play with some strata and warping.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Mahnmut

Thanks for your kind comments!

Hi John, I feel honoured that the master of gnarlyness asks for my humble method!
I had to look into the nodes first, as I said, I just hit the render button on an old project.
One strata shader would make more regular strata, I don´t like those.
here I used two strata shaders merged together and a powerfractal as mix control.
I am looking forward to your Gnarly images!

Best regards,
Jan

Mahnmut

Well,
I tried to add a bit of depth (thanks to Volker Haruns tip with the FOV)
and a bit of story to the image.
The cityparts are from "dystopia 1-20", I think Bobbystahr converted those to TGO.
So one could say, the first step to utopia is leaving all the dystopias behind, and if that means to hike into the desert,
so be it.
Leave the smog behind and smell the sage! (Pinus nigra I should say.)
Interestingly, I didn´t know that the sky wasn´t visible in the former version!
Makes one think.
So much for the story,
how do you like the image?

Best Regards,
Jan

jbest

Great picture here, Mahnmut. There seems to be a mirage of a canyon in the background!
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

Mahnmut

good morning Jbest
Thats what I meant by not seeing the sky before, thats really big mountains behind the haze,
but let it be a mirage. I pondered photoshopping it away, because I didn´t expect it to be there, but decided to let that little piece of blue sky there out of philosophical reasons!
And good night!

jbest

Oh yeah :D They look like REALLY big mountains. It's really great though!

And what do you mean by good night?
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

Mahnmut

Oh, nothing special,
I just went to sleep after that post because it was 4:50 am at my place and I spent the night learning and waiting for the render.
I will have to change my sleep rhythm during the coming week.
Glad you like the image, I think it has some content now, the first version was only for the structures.
Til then!