Ultimate Rendering System for Terragen ???

Started by cyphyr, March 17, 2007, 04:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Well I'm also planning to buy a new computer since I've just pre-purchased TG2.
If I'm correct AMD will release the Barcelona-(quad)core in Q4 2007 and I think this will further reduce the prices of quad-cores.
I think the best time for buying a new render computer would be at the end of this year.
It will probably be a 3GHz quadcore with (at least) 4GB RAM.

Martin

Njen

Quote from: old_blaggard on August 10, 2007, 06:57:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, how could 64-bit help enhance the program?  It would obviously make much more RAM available for those of us who need large object populations, but would it also help improve render speed?

As I understand, 64bit helps with greater precision when using large numbers. For example, in any 3D program, if you have a point that is very far away from the origin, say 1,000,000,000,000,001 units, then the 3D program will need to round the number to a length that it can handle, which results in irregularities. 64bit allows for greater precision allowing you to maintain stability when dealing with large numbers.

64bit doesn't necessarily speed up renders, as much as it does to handle numbers better. The speed of the CPU is what you need to increase to help speed up rendering mainly.

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.