Exoplanets (updated) 10/1/2010

Started by nethskie, August 13, 2010, 05:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nethskie

Hi All! just wanted to share a Hurricane render I made :) it's not that perfect but i think i tried hard to make it a bit better than my previous tries :D

Exoplanet Hurricane

-----------------

Update 10/1/2010

Exoplanet Concept

Thanks!

Tangled-Universe

Looking pretty good! I especially like the cloud-shapes in the right-foreground.
However, the "holes" to the left look a bit strange and the centre of the hurricane is very very big, dense and therefore a bit flat looking.
You might try to feed your imagemap-shader through a colour-adjust shader and play with the settings to change the definition of your mask.
I suggest to increase the black point from 0 to ~0.1 to create more contrast. Reducing gamma (2nd tab) might work as well.

Cheers,
Martin

jbest

:) Your hurricane doesn't appear to have an eye, but otherwise this is a very good picture!
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

nethskie

@Martin hmm you gave me an idea on colour-adjust shader! actually i don't know how to use it :D thanks for the feedback and suggestions i'll keep this in mind and i hope to improve my future hurricane render. i'll try another one with another style :)

@jbest thank you for the feedback :)

Tangled-Universe

You can put the colour-adjust shader in between 2 nodes which exchange colour-information.
In your case that's the imagemap shader and, I guess, the blendshader input of your cloud fractal shader.
So connect the output of the imagemap shader to the colour-adjust shader.
Then connect the colour-adjust shader to the blendshader input of your cloud fractal shader (if that's indeed the shader where the image map was connected to).

Or did you meant how to use the values?
Basically the colour-adjust node is similar to the "levels" function in photoshop.
If you increase the blackpoint from 0 to 0.1 that will mean that the colours ranging from 0>0.1 will be removed and that the colours ranging from 0.1>1 will be "equalized" to 0>1.
Basically this will make your mask brighter and more contrasty.

nethskie

i'm not familiar with the shader itself i haven't used it yet :D thanks for the suggestions and tips it's very helpful i'll definitely credit you for helping me when my next hurricane with colour-adjust shader has been completed!

Cheers!

nethskie

i added my Exoplanet Concept in this thread please check the first post :) (i still haven't used the colour adjust shader next time i'll use it :D )

jbest

It looks like a black hole to me :) Looks real great though!
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

Volker Harun

I like the images and your thoughts to the images are a nice addition.