pixel aspect ratio

Started by tl33, March 18, 2007, 08:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tl33

still a nub with tg2 but...seems like i can set the ratio at something like 2 and the renders double in size for me(im on the free version). i cant tell much of a difference in quality so if i grab a screen shot and import to photoshop its an added bonus with a larger render..  im just curious  as to what this function is really designed for? maybe for exactly this but i wanted to see.

thx

3DGuy

The aspect ratio means the pixel doesn't have to be square. A computer monitor has square pixels, but a TV screen doesn't have square pixels (at least the good old tubes). If you'd render for a monitor and display it on TV there'd be some distortion. Changing the aspect ratio lets you correct this.

tl33

thanks man.

dont think ill ever be rendering for tv so i found it to be an excellent way to get larger renders  ;D

Oshyan

This won't actually allow you to render larger, although in the rendering view it will appear to be so because it is displaying at the pixel aspect ratio adjusted for a standard display. The finished rendered image will simply appear stretched at the normal maximum resolution. This is really a setting that non-professional users will have little need to use, although some interesting and creative effects were possible with it in TG 0.9. The same may be true of TG2, although the "overhang effect" in TG 0.9 is no longer of much use since we have proper overhangs now. ;D

- Oshyan

tl33

heres a couple with pixel ratio at 2. i think its a great trick for free users to get a little bit more size.