Tree problems

Started by RealUser, March 18, 2007, 11:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealUser

I have finally managed to import an obj-tree and convert it to .tgo with textures. But there is a slight problem with artifacts as you can see in the image at the end of the branches (little dots or rests of leaves or something). Does anybody have the same problem and know how to solve it?
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

child@play

strange, looks like nuts
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

Costaud

look like scale down leafs , can you post your tgo file?

Buzzzzz

Nice tree BTW. One thing to check is: in the Default shader for the textures check to see if Displacements are set at .01, if so, set it to 0. That might help?  In other words go Object settings, Shaders, go to multishader, then go to the setting for each texture where the image is loaded and then set Displacement to 0 if needed.

Hope the is clear?

Will

Yea could be a problum with displacments. Buzzzzz you got a new acount?

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Buzzzzz

Quote from: Will on March 18, 2007, 11:54:29 AM
Yea could be a problum with displacments. Buzzzzz you got a new acount?

Regards,

Will

He He Yup.  ;D

RealUser

Well, i did set displacement to 0.0 with no success. The image files are .rgb, maybe this is the problem? The tree is about 15megs!
Markus / RealUser

Oshyan

Markus, is this one of the free Xfrog "public plants"? If so it may be a problem with the original data - the image maps and alphas provided with them originally were often not of best quality. Particularly in a program like TG2 where opacity is treated as either off or on (no partial opacity), you can get artifacts like this. You may want to try adjusting the images in an image editor to make sure the alphas are setup correctly.

- Oshyan

RealUser

OK, the main problem was the image map shader i used for the textures. I replaced it with a default shader, the color map in the color tab and a masking map in the opacity tab with "alpha from color" checked (alpha key 1, key tolerance 0.99). TIF images with an alpha key didn't work correctly. You can see white artifacts on the edge of the leaves, no matter if the alpha is part of the tif (alpha channel) or a seperate opacity image. The model comes from the public xfrog library here: http://web.inf.tu-dresden.de/ST2/cg/downloads/publicplants/
Markus / RealUser

Mandrake

Looks good now Markus, did you make that? You might want to run it through Poseray and do the y=0 thing.

king_tiger_666

Quote from: child@play on March 18, 2007, 11:27:46 AM
strange, looks like nuts

nuts in mid air? ;D ;D  will be interesting to see how this turns out since you are dealing with those xfrogs plants.

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

Aenea

I have the same problems on the public plants too, but hadn´t spend too much attention to it, cause I was already delighted when I was able to get such a tree with all textures into terragen....
Thanks to poseray I found a way to get it working properly for me...
I´ll post a tut about it soon, maybe I should include this problem too and a solution for it...I´ll try it at once I got back to my own pc....
These artifacts were really annoying...

also, I´m not sure if anyone of you have observed that the leaves often look a bit cutted on their border....really strange.
I use tif images with transparency, under color image and as alpha channel as well....it works fine...but this propblem still occurs...

Aenea

Oshyan

Once again I just have to reiterate that although those public plants are a great resource, they are also a very old and less high quality version of Greenworks' Xfrog plants. They have known and acknowledged problems. By all means continue to work with them and if you get them working well then they are an excellent resource, but keep in mind that you are more than likely to run into problems with them.

- Oshyan

Costaud

New trees from XFrog are expensive and the program isn't cheap either but I'm very interested in this program maybe if I have some extra money during next summer I'll purchase it and if I could made some trees I'll offering them free, so stay tuned. 

RealUser

@Mandrake: I have downloaded Poseray and see what i can do. And yes, I did the renderings. Wasn't difficult after i have solved the problem.
@Oshyan: Thanks for the information. I think this plants are good enough for distant vegetation and simple scenes.
@Aenea: Yes, please make that tutorial! :-) I can give you a hand if you need some help.
Markus / RealUser