Ring World

Started by cyphyr, October 18, 2010, 07:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N810

Hmmm.....

Maybe some of the Tourus formulas here would be usefull for creating it with functions...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torus
Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

Mahnmut

Sorry. little time.
Two planets, one positive, one inverted.
First simple shape shader only cuts rendertime, second displaces with edge set to "radius", there is your donut.
No idea how it works with populations.
Best regards,
Jan

cyphyr

Excelent :) The solutions to these kind of problems always seem to come from thinking out side the box.
Thank you, I'll be playing with this when I get home, so much for me leaving this one alone!
:)
Richard

ps: Had a quick(ish) play with Mahnmut's file and its looking very promising indeed:)
I'm on the laptop that is very slow compared to the Desktop so this is only a low res. For some reason I'm getting massive lateral displacements, they look quite interesting but I'm not sure where they come from. Lots to work with when I get home.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

Cool work, cyphyr and Dune (and Mahnmut). What has Goms started?   :o
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Dune

This is a much better method, as the two halves of the ring are now connected. When using just two planets, they're not. And I didn't invert any of them.

nethskie

nice concept i like it!

j meyer

Mahnmut

Great!
Glad  it works and you like it.
Your quickish play looks really promising.
I also played with my donut a little bit, but I get nothing like a landscape inside it.
And I donĀ“t have the patience for detailwork at the moment, especially when every trestrender seems to take years on my old pc.
But I am really looking forward to see what you (and others maybe) will make of this.
Best regards,
Jan

choronr

Very striking work here. I think you're starting a trend.

Dune

Your method works fine, Mahnmut. I had a quick play as well yesterday. The only thing that needs more attention is the 'gap' between the two half rings. But with a 'line' of fake stones, or vegetation, it should be possible to hide it. I won't be using this, I guess, but it's fun playing with and great to see that for every 'problem' there is a solution. Thanks again, Mahnmut.

Hetzen

Loving this work. Well done guys. It would certainly help to have some sort of perpendicular to normal placement in the population, but I guess there would have to be some sort of 'average' sample so you didn't get trees growing sideways due to some small displacement.

cyphyr

I don't think the population placement is that much of an issue. If the "ring" was only a few km across you could easily see trees sticking up at odd angles in the distance but in these cases the curve of the ring is so slight that by the time its becoming a problem its too far away to see clearly anyway. There is a trap (which I constantly fall into) of trying to create a perfect world and looking for the equal perfect pov. Whilst this is all good fun its a very impractical way of working. In these ring world tests I cant see further than 5km to 20km and the shift away from vertical is (or almost is) imperceptible at that distance.
I wish I could devote more time to this at the moment but I will definitely come back to it soon.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

dandelO

I tried populating inside this setup on the roof as well. I covered the entire surface with grass and unchecked render surface on both planets. Quite a nice grass tube cylinder. It had to be entirely covered, though, to hide the vertical only objects but it worked. Some blending of small enough or, strategically shaped objects(rocks, I'd say) would disguise the seams a bit.
Great experiments!

Dune

Show us the render, Martin! I imagine you have some floating grass then in the form of the roof? I'm rendering a second iteration right now, including more trees, gulls, a jetty, and clouds along the edges to hide the seams. It's indeed great fun! Will post it later...

TheBlackHole

Why hide the seams? They look almost like strata to me. Just add some real strata and it might hide the seams better.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?