Partial tutorial list (needs update)

Started by buchvecny, December 22, 2006, 09:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingIce

Hmm... would you guys like to centralize all of these tutorials onto a single site instead of having them all over the place?  If so, I can contact the authors of these tutorials and get it setup.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

Tsukiyono

I sometimes like the discussions better. As they do manage to tell you things about them, but they DONT show you step by step how to do them. I have always disliked tutorials for that reason, even though it does make it harder for me to learn without knowing step by step, but when I do figure it out, even with the help of the discussions, I feel like I have actually achieved something worth celebrating :)

Jane

This is what got me off the ground,
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=18
When I start something entirely new to me, the best way for me to learn is a step-by-step tutorial.
And this one really is wonderful. 
I am hoping that someone here will do a few more of them too, then as I go back to the other tuts, if I get stuck, I can go back to the step-by-step.  Or ask and watch the discussions for details too.
Anyway, all the tuts are great!    And soooooo important for us beginners.
Thank you all,
Jane

(Being a visual learner, I have also benefited greatly by watching the training CDs with the QuickTime movies like they have for Bryce, Photoshop, and many others.)

MeltingIce

I have 2 new tutorials you might want to add to the list:

Migrating from TG 0.9 to TG 2: http://paths.meltingice.net/tg2/migration.html

and using the Fake Stones Shader: http://paths.meltingice.net/tg2/fake_stones.html

;)

buchvecny

thx guyz, ill need some help for futher updating this thread... school is starting :(

Windjammer

Quote from: Jane on December 31, 2006, 08:37:19 AM
(Being a visual learner, I have also benefited greatly by watching the training CDs with the QuickTime movies like they have for Bryce, Photoshop, and many others.)

I second this request!  A video tutorial is an absolute must!

Jane

Is there anyone here who would like to make some video tutorials for us? 
There is nothing on www.lynda.com or the VTC sites yet, so there is an opportunity for one of you experts, as you can see on their sites that they are looking for people to submit tuts.
Or just here.
That would be a godsend for us beginners.

Tony Farley made some for version 9 which were excellent!

Jane

EdBardet

I think it's a great idea, and I'd expect many would like to do them once the full release of TG2 takes place. Since this is a transitional product, any tutorials written now may not apply to the final version.
Knotian

MeltingIce

Hmm I'll see if I can do a video tutorial sometime.  Any ideas about what topic you want it to be on?

Jane

I think that a very basic movie sort of modeled after this one,
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=18
would be wonderful for a start..
This one is what got me started correctly, I followed it thru to the end several times, thus getting the process into my old brain.
Then from there, I could expand on each part in a new picture.  Practising every day, always starting with the basics, then going on to the more difficult steps, is what I am doing now.

I just looked at the Maya video series at lynda.com, because I had no idea about Maya, and after watching several of them, it really came alive!  It is amazing what a video can do for a beginner.
Thank you!
Jane

Windjammer

Quote from: MeltingIce on January 05, 2007, 10:46:01 AM
Hmm I'll see if I can do a video tutorial sometime.  Any ideas about what topic you want it to be on?

I would love to see videos on basic use of the node system and why you need to connect things a certain way to get specific results (this still mystifies me).  A video using the "Strata and outcrop" shader would be great along with some of the more popular/powerful shaders.

Just some ideas.

Jane

And also use of the camera, I dont seem to be able to do that like I could with the old version.

Thanks again,
Jane

buchvecny

Melting i think it would be best if u made some render and recorded it on video w/e your comments

MeltingIce

Hmm alright everyone I guess a video tutorial it is.  I'll see what I can come up with once exams are over on Tuesday  :P
EDIT: to prevent double post I'll just edit this one, hows a video tutorial on using the redirect shader to create canyons sound?

Windjammer

Quote from: MeltingIce on January 07, 2007, 05:02:54 AM
hows a video tutorial on using the redirect shader to create canyons sound?

Sounds great!  Can't wait to see it.