The Geostation

Would be good to add this thread on star fields:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=444.0

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
Andrew Randle
The Geostation

MeltingIce

Just finished my tutorial on how to use the Redirect Shader.  I know I promised a video tutorial but unfortunately I was unable to find enough quiet time to sit down and go through the whole thing at one go.  Instead, I just wrote it up like my other tutorials.  You can read it here: http://www.designpaths.com/terragen-tutorials/modifying-the-terrain-using-the-redirect-shader/

I will be providing more specific examples in the tutorial soon, I just thought I would get the basics out so that people can play with that while I write up how to do more specific things.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

Dark Fire

Just an interesting thing I am noting here: the combination of the release of T2TP and the opening of these forums has completely changed the online landscape for Terragen users.

Anyway, I thought I'd also say that the tutorials by MeltingIce are top quality and very easy to follow. I find them very useful and I would strongly recommend reading them to anybody who uses Terragen.

David Burnett

Had to have a go, and throw in functions :-)

Welcome to eggbox mountain...

Jane

I love his tuts!

But I dont know what "T2TP" is, I thought this was TG2.
But being a beginner, I might have missed something important?  Is it an update perhaps?
Please let me know about this T2TP, and I will pass it on to my classmates.
Thanks,
Jane

David Burnett

Terragen 2 Technology Preview

So the version of TG2 we have in our hands.

Jane

Oh, heavens, whew,,,,,,,Thank you!
I thought I was missing something, I like TG2.
Jane

MeltingIce

Haha David those mountains are intense.  Thanks everyone for the good feedback, its good to know these tutorials are helping!  I'll keep working on the redirect shader tutorial and get those specific examples up soon.  :D

Dark Fire

Quote from: Jane on January 14, 2007, 05:55:55 PM
But I dont know what "T2TP" is, I thought this was TG2.
As we are not using the properly finished version TG2 yet, it technically should not be called TG2. That could be misleading and cause people who are new to Terragen to think that T2TP is actually a finished product.

buchvecny

hey guyz ill add your tutorials soon as i said i dont have holidays anymore so i cant be checkin threads all the time

Windjammer

Thanks for the new tutorial.  What I found the most helpful was the phrase...

"...one that stands out as being very useful is the Redirect Shader. Basically what it does it is allows us to displace the terrain in a certain direction (x, y and/or z) based on another shader."

Its from these simple definitions like this that lay the foundation (for newbies like me) to unlock the power of this program. 

Thanks for your fine work.

-Windjammer

MeltingIce

I have made a site out of this thread.  So far I have only added the links that were in the first post, but I will continue to add links as I find them around the forums and elsewhere.  Please check out the forum post for the site here: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=562.0

Will

Now I'm not one to judge but how come center is spelled wrong?

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

FrankThomas

Depends on whether you are talking about the US or UK spelling

Dark Fire

Quote from: FrankThomas on January 22, 2007, 04:18:08 PM
Depends on whether you are talking about the US or UK spelling
Yes, and we are using planetside.co.uk, so centre is the correct spelling. Corret me f I am wrong, but I believe that most countries use centre (for example, it is spelt the same way in French).