Simple shape shader woes!

Started by cyphyr, October 28, 2010, 07:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

I have just returned from London and a quick look say this works perfectly :)
Thankyou so much to all who have helped and a big extra thanks to Goms, you are the function king !!
A tutorial on functions would be great. Its been asked for so many times before and the response has always been to say that a good grounding in math was necessary. I get some higher math but to be honest when I left school most of it left me. If you could write a function tutorial that was aimed at artists then you would have a very useful product, one that would be aprieciated throught the community.
Thanks again
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Goms

welcome.
first 6 pages done. i think i will need someone of english tongue and some knowledge about functions later to correct it....
anyone? :D
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

Goms

Ok, first part done. 10 pages written so far.
Some things are still missing, as other ways to archive what i did here, but i would like to hear some opinions about how i wrote this before i continue.
Richard, could you look over it and tell me what you think? Would be great; i know from the past that what i write is not always easy to understand. :D
Everyone else: please give me feedback too!

note: my native tongue is not English. ;)

http://www.file-upload.net/download-2931640/functions-alapha.rar.html

Oshyan

If you add this to the wiki, everyone could work on improving it. Just a thought. :) http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/

- Oshyan

Goms

I will, when its done ;)
i just don't have the time atm to add all the images etc.
if i find the time to work on this every week one evening, it may be done until xmas, where i have enough time again to make it a good wiki entry.
For now i first want to know if its usable at all.

Oshyan

Sounds good. Thanks for putting in the time. :)

- Oshyan

Henry Blewer

I just downloaded the alpha version. I'll take a look and check your English. Just remember, I'm American and don't speak proper English either. I speak some strange local dialect of American English we use locally. Darn gnarly. ::)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Goms

looks like I'll have to change it anyway; just checked the file again, and there are some nasty render-glitches again. :(
They seem to come always when using an X or Z only noise...

mhaze

Goms

Using the setup I've mentioned (a power fractal with great scaling in one direction) solves this problem. I'll change this asap.

Henry Blewer

I always use a power fractal as the last node on top of the surface layer. The noise functions/node network get plugged into the input of the power fractal. It seems to make the output of the network scale correctly.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

jo

Hi,

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. I wrote the Simple shape shader and to be honest I didn't understand exactly what was going on here until I had a chance to look into it more closely. The reason the colour isn't being redirected by the Redirect shader is that the Redirect shader only works with displacements. That's probably why it's in the Displacement shaders menu but not the Colour shaders one. To use the redirected displacement of the Simple shape shader as a colour mask as you are I think you will probably need to find a way of extracting the displacement with functions and converting it to a colour, however I'm struggling to see a way to do that which would work generally.

Looking at the image map shader I don't see how the colour of that could be redirected either. However someone mentioned it can be? If someone could post a clip with the colour of an image map shader being redirected by the Redirect shader I'd be interested to see it.

Regards,

Jo

dandelO

That would be me.

An image map can be redirected because it has the option 'plan Y'.
If an example is needed. I'll upload one.

* Actually, I'll upload one anyway, I might not be here for long tonight, 2 secs...

dandelO

There you go. I set it as a child of a surface layer.

Default image map - in network:
[attachimg=#]

Redirected image map - independent child layer:
[attachimg=#]

Layout:
[attachimg=#]

The image map shader has 'plan' properties, making it redirect/warpable on any axis.

dandelO

I gather, if the simple shape shader had a coordinate system(like the similar image map shader and painted shaders do) then, it would be able to be redirected, too... ???

*** I should say also that it doesn't need to be connected to the main network either, you can use a redirected image as a cloud layer deformer as well. It isn't limited to the planet/terrain nodes. ***