Problem purchasing - Securecode?

Started by ruddiger52, November 02, 2010, 05:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruddiger52

I am trying to purchase Terragen with animation. I put in all of the credit card info and hit submit. I am then taken to a page telling me I have to sign up for "securecode" before I can complete purchase. Also it asks for my social sec number. I am using a company card and Im sure the owner of the company wont be giving me his social sec number. What gives?

Henry Blewer

It's a 'feature' of the credit card. If the feature has been used before, you have to enter the information. I doubt that it would ask for a social security number. Visa has this, but asks for other info.
I ended up sending a paper check from the USA to England. Contact the sales manager, or use Paypal.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Matt

I've seen similar things with some of my cards. It is probably a feature offered by the card company that you can opt into to protect yourself against future fraudulent purchases. Usually you can choose whether to sign up or just proceed without signing up. I would try again and see if there is a way to skip the signup.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

Agreed, this was my take as well. It's almost certainly nothing we can change on our end. You may need to contact the card issuer.

- Oshyan

jmclusky

More and more banks are signing up to this.  If you have a Mastercard or Visa credit or debit card, you're likely to see it sooner or later:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_secure

It's completely legitimate, although I'd agree it's a bit alarming the first time you see it.

For a company credit card, you'll probably need to speak to your sales managment to see how they want you to proceed!

ruddiger52

Its weird... I use the card all the time and have never seen this. It definitely asked for a social sec number. Ill see if I can find another card

ruddiger52