Ice Age

Started by Dune, November 01, 2010, 03:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Thanks for your comments and pictures, guys. The pictures are amazing, especially the second one. Must have been a great trip!
I might try another sort of lighting, after I've conquered my wall of ice. This latest iteration quite pleases me, so I made it in B&W. I always liked Black&White photography more than color (I still have boxes full of negatives dusting away). Gives more drama.

Dune

And in color, no postwork.

inkydigit

perfect!
love the foreground snow details too!

Henry Blewer

You were right to include the trees. As always your work is very impressive. I think you have nailed this one now.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Oshyan

The latest one is very nice indeed. That glacier surfacing is pretty much photorealistic, particularly in black and white. Very impressive. I like the new camera perspective too, with the grass and whatnot. I do however wish for a little greater sense of size from the glacier, maybe a closer perspective looking a bit upward, with a vertical frame instead of horizontal ("widescreen")? I know, big changes to what you've been doing, but I think it could make for a more "epic" shot. You have all of the scenery worked out at the least, now IMO it's just a matter of finding the right perspective and getting the lighting dialed in.

- Oshyan

Zairyn Arsyn

i'm nearly speechless Dune,  8) :)
they look perfect,the last two, they look really good, realistic.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

choronr

This last image Ulco is what I think most all of us have waiting for. It delivers a close render of realism. Our individual tastes can wish for different things; but as is, I believe you have achieved your goal. 

Dune

I'm not finished yet. Here's a totally different approach, now the distance shader masks have been replaced by a perlin 'blob' blended by high contrast immense ridges + a simple shape for the basic shape. Added some high contrast ridges (unclamped) as vertical displacements in a redirect shader + some more small perlin for detailed blobs. And some things I cannot remember. The light is not as good as in another discarded render I did yesterday, and the ground is still totally raw, but I like the icy glacier so far.

I'll try a vertical render in the last one, Oshyan.

Naoo

Hi

It's nice to see how you get better and better.

ciao
Naoo

otakar

Both of the last two renders are great, but quite different. I like the Nov9 one - no I love it, but looking at the foreground makes me a bit dizzy because of the blur. The glacier and lighting is simply fantastic.

Dune

Here's some more renders from the last setup.

Oshyan

You have really nailed the "ice" shader setup Dune. You might consider selling it on the NWDA community store!

- Oshyan

Dune

Thanks, Oshyan, but I can't really do that. It wasn't entirely mine. Actually, Ryan gave us his tgc for old ice. I modified things and added snow, but the idea to use a default shader with its translucency and such was his. It's quite simple in fact, just add the snow over the old ice tgc with a surface layer with restricted angle. The terrain is just a large displacement, blended by another and a simple shape to get a huge blob. Then add some redirect with unclamped fractals (much contrast, shove it towards black) until you got some cracks, oh yes, and I did indeed add some voronoi cracks.

Something else I had forgotten:
QuoteSo if I have a surface shader with some displacements after the last compute terrain, it will not be considered by a distri shader? I don't attach anything to the distri input, by the way, it's 'hanging loose at the blend end'.
Perhaps you could show a part of your network to show what you mean? I think I don't understand?

Here's a screendump of my 'loose hanging' distribution shader setup. It's not supposed to get any input, does it? It just reads it from the last (?) surface shader?

Oshyan

Then share it for free, even better. ;)

- Oshyan

mhaze