Puttling clouds on the horizon?

Started by DeanoD, December 22, 2006, 10:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Blackheart6004

I've actually found the answer for putting clouds on the horizon. The answer is Apply Far Colour in the Distance Shader.

When you opened it up, the Far Colour opens up as a white colour. Correct me if I'm wrong, you need black as a masking ingredient in order to show blue sky on the top and horizon clouds at the bottom.

The lower the value of the Far Color, the better for putting clouds on the horizon.

Oh, BTW, theres no needs to change the Far and Near Distance and the Invert Shader.
My DeviantArt Profile - http://blackheart6004.deviantart.com/

Will

I followed what DeanoD did and it seemed to work for me.

ecept I didn't invet the blender.

Regards,

Will

Njen

But if you move the camera to the ground, the clouds disappear. I am now thinking that it's a bug, which is why you can't be on the surface, and have the clouds affected by a Distance Shader.

In fact now I am sure of it.

In your file, if you invert the blendshader, then move the camera just above the surface of the clouds, everything looks good. THen go below the surface of the clouds, and the clouds disappear.

Will

yes I think it has to do on how the distence is calulated, I think Im using speherical you could try planar.

Regards

Will

Blackheart6004

My DeviantArt Profile - http://blackheart6004.deviantart.com/

bigben

Hi All

After a lot of misses I finally came up with a hit. I combined an image mask with the cloud's density fractal.
[attachthumb=#2]
[attachurl=#1]

The mask is basicallly just a big white square with a small black circle. How fuzzy you make the circle is up to you. The mask image had to be much bigger than the "hole" because using this method will restrict the cloud distribution to the area of the image shader.
[attachthumb=#3]

You could extend this of course to provide all sorts of cloud arrangements... orographic clouds based on altitude, satellite images (DIY cyclones) and so on.

What would be really cool is if you could set the altitude and thickness via a shader. Then you could simulate some really interesting cloud formations.

And yes, this works irrespective of whether the camera is above or below the clouds

Ben