Dragon's Head Peak

Started by Traveller2, November 14, 2010, 09:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveller2

I have updated my original Dragon's Head Peak. I used two distribution shaders: one to create what I hope is a more realistic reddish, rock-like texture at the upper part of the peak and a second to create a grass setting at the lower area of the peak. I modified the redirect shader at the Y axis to round out the snout and to create a wing-like hump at the right hand area of the peak. My ultimate goal was to create a dragon-like formation.

Henry Blewer

Interesting displacement. It has a sort of jade look to it. I would add some more displacements to it. A couple power fractals in the the terrain tab. Use the color adjust slider and move it back to about -0.5 and or -0.2. I don't know what scales you have here (the size of the dragons head), but about 1/10th of the size should be about right for the lead-in scale. After that it's all adjusting the scale and displacement until it looks the way you have in mind.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Traveller2

Thank you. In fact, I was originally going to call it The Jade Dragon Head Peak. I will mess around with it some more. I have been trying to figure out how to localize the texture to the terrain and how to get the the image map to act as the actual displacement pattern, e.g., I use a rock texture to create rock-like displacements. Any ideas?

Traveller2

Henry Blewer

You could use a painted shader to localize things. A better way would be to use image maps. I'm not very good with those yet.
I nearly always use distribution shaders. Create one in the Blend by input (near the bottom of the power fractal, for example) A distribution shader allows control of slope distribution, by altitude, and how much coverage. The distribution shader fractal breakup can refine this coverage more.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Traveller2

Yes, painted shader. Good idea. Thanks. ;D

I have applied an additional image map to the image and have modified the redirect shader along the Y axis to create a hump towards the end of the dragon's body.