Cold and Dreary v3

Started by RArcher, November 22, 2010, 07:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RArcher

It certainly seems strange that their policies would change that much, but it is possible.  It was the cleaned up version that I submitted so the foreground should not have been an issue.  I will likely follow their "suggestion" about posting it in the WIP section to see what is suggested, but as far as I was concerned the initial cleaned up image was exactly what I was going for and to me is considered complete.

Dune:  I like to try and get my nicest renders posted on the site as it is good exposure for both me and TG2 as a professional medium.  The site does get viewed/read by professionals in many different CG industries (games, movies, architectural etc.)

FrankB

Quote from: RArcher on November 25, 2010, 12:03:04 PM

QuoteYour submission has been declined for the following reason(s):
* We're very sorry to let you know that this work does not yet meet our standards as a completed piece for the Showcase Gallery. We'd like to encourage you to post your work in the WIP forum to develop it further before submitting it again.

pfffffff......

do you know who rejected it? Wouldn't be surprised if it's that one moderator bi#*% who once removed our TG2 contest results post, despite people were showing a lot of interest in it and were commenting.

AP

I wonder if that person's name began with an "L".    ::)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: ChrisC on November 25, 2010, 03:34:19 PM
I wonder if that person's name began with an "L".    ::)

+8 - t ;D

Ryan, like I told you, I haven't been able to submit there for the past few months. Tried it four times and didn't try it after that.
To me there's obviously no policy. Yes, rejection policy. I wrote to two moderators (can't remember which anymore) but none ever responded.

cyphyr

I have encountered an anti-procedural response there before. There was a Ansel Adams contest there recently that I thought perfect for Terragen but it wasn't deemed acceptable.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: cyphyr on November 25, 2010, 06:04:27 PM
I have encountered an anti-procedural response there before. There was a Ansel Adams contest there recently that I thought perfect for Terragen but it wasn't deemed acceptable.
Richard

That Ansel Adams contest was a perfect example of the current attitude towards TG2 among those people there.

The contest was to model a reproduction of an Ansel Adams picture, keep that in mind.
They have always bothered "us" (TG-users) about TG being too slow, no absolute control, not good enough results etc.
So, with this contest they had the perfect opportunity to show that with the "traditional" packages they could do it much better, faster, you name it...
And?? What do we see?? Everybody is searching for a non-landscape Ansel Adams picture to reproduce, because they have no clue how to model a realistic terrain :) Again we see pictures of buildings and cars, so pathetic. It was just such a big laughter to me.
At least they could have looked at World-Machine for starters, but of course TG2 would have been a perfect choice.
Richard's response proves enough for me again.

Oh well, let's talk on about your nice images Ryan :)

Martin

FrankB

one last comment: I think Matt or Oshyan should be reaching out to the owners of cgsociety, bypassing this aweful L moderator, and actually complain about the situation until they promise to either fire or instruct that moderator to stop obeying blindly to her own stupid prejudges about Terragen.

Because of the otherwise central reputation and importance of the site, Terragen cannot afford to be effecively banned there.
I'm interested in the situation getting fixed, but I think Planetside must start it.

Regards,
Frank

AP

Sorry to be off subject here but what blows my mind is the elitist mentality at CG Society amongst artists. Is not art an interpretation of ones creativity using "any" medium and materials at ones disposal weather it be graphite, clay, oils, photography, glass or in this case a digital interpretation. I tend to think these artists are rather closed-minded with the arts in general. I mean i like to use my camera, pens and pencils as much as i like to dabble with procedural arts therefore remaining open-mined to many approaches. What is sad is they work in the industry and i can't get into the industry due to my hard financial circumstances and hardships.

AP

By the way Ryan. Your render is frekin' sweet!    ;D

RArcher

Cheers Chris.  I am hoping to have a third version sometime today or tomorrow.

choronr

The tad of warmth in the last image looks good; but, I prefer the one prior since it seems to display more depth. Fine work here Ryan.

Regarding the CG judgment, I have always felt that judging should be done by a panel of three individuals or more for an average of opinions. This way, perhaps the taste of only one individual could be eliminated. 

RArcher

Next version, bigger.  Changed the viewpoint and camera focal length again, added some scrub pines and fixed the too straight trees.  Also added a bit of Walli's junk detail in the foreground dirt/mud.  For those interested the first image has a 50mm focal length, the second is at 80mm and the third is down to 35mm for a wider angle shot.

choronr

Now this is very pleasing. Your adjustments have made a nice impact to the image pushing it closer to realism. I like these gentle hills of the terrain.

Dune

Absolutely great, Ryan. I like the way you got this subtlety into it. Even a little light falloff at the edges in your wide angle 'shot'. Great!

Tangled-Universe

Great work Ryan. The wider shot and higher POV really make it work for me.