Fios (Fiber Optic) Service?

Started by Buzzzzz, March 20, 2007, 03:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzzzz

Hi Gang!  ;D

Hey, I know it's a little late since I already scheduled for hook-up, but does anyone here have the Verizon Fios (Fiber Optic) Internet connection? And if so what are your thoughts of the service and speed? Hope I made a good choice?  ???

Thanks
Jay

Oshyan

I've heard great things about it. Unless you have one of the higher-speed cable services in your area (12mbit+, not available in many places) then it's probably your best option. You can find lots of discussion about various broadband services as well as tests from users at the ever-handy DSLReports.

- Oshyan

king_tiger_666

buzzzz that fiber is up to 50mbit from Verizon "the fastest plan"
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

MeltingIce

I know a guy who has it.  I downloaded something from him at about 250KB/s, it was awesome.  His download speed was pretty good too from what I heard.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

Buzzzzz

Oshyan, we do have Comcast here which I used for a while but got to hate the customer service. So Bye Bye to them. I wish I could afford the top of the line Fios service but have to settle for 5mb download and 2mb up stream. 30 bucks a month for 6 months then ups to 40. Not to bad I guess? We shall see after Saturday? And thanks to you others Guys for the additional info!

Cheers
Jay

Oshyan

Yeah, Comcast usually tops out at 6mbit (although they're supposedly bursting to 12mbit for short periods in some markets) and you usually pay more, especially if you don't have cable TV (like me). That's a decent price for 5mbit, and the upload is really sweet. Maybe not much use for most people but I'd kill for that - it's 3 times what I have now.

- Oshyan

king_tiger_666

you would expect the us cable companies to be opening up their networks a little more, as 5mbit is becoming slow by todays standards.. hopefully i will have 24mbit/1mbit in a few months:D

Buzzzzz

Yeah, Verizon also offers 15 Mbps/2 Mbps for $49.99 and 30 Mbps/5 Mbps for $179.95 per Month.
Like I said all I am willing to shell out for internet is 40 bucks a month It's better than the 768 DSL I'm on now  ;)

I guess King Tiger has 30 Mbps/5 Mbps??  ;)

Buzzzzz

Quote from: king_tiger_666 on March 22, 2007, 10:19:41 PM
you would expect the us cable companies to be opening up their networks a little more, as 5mbit is becoming slow by todays standards.. hopefully i will have 24mbit/1mbit in a few months:D

Nahh,,, Slow is my next door neighbor with 56k dial up which is just a tad faster than 2 tin cans and a string.

king_tiger_666

not even close:(....  since i'm restricted to adsl:(

Buzzzzz

I guess we should consider ourselves lucky because there are still areas that don't have access to high speed Internet and are stuck with Dial up.  We really should think of them when we post 1mb Images. I know I sometimes forget.

Was just asking my Wife if she remembers our first computer?  It was a Packard Bell, 166Mhz cpu with 64 mb of ram running Windows 95. I wanted a Commodore 64 but the were sold out. LOL  And then we got Internet with 56k connection but my modem was only 28.8k.  :'(  Of course I wasn't long installing a 56k modem and then I was Smokin!

king_tiger_666

I get put back to 64k if i download over my 25gb limit each month.. which happens every month and the last few days are depressing... then you realise the difference between 64kb and 4mbit...

in Australia their adsl2+ can get a 1Gb file in 3minutes.. that's smoking...

Buzzzzz

Well I'm happy to report that Fios is installed and I'm very pleased with the results so far. I purchased the "5mbps download / 2mbps upload package" and actually the speeds are a little higher than advertised. The Tech that did the Install also told me that Verizon was going to up the speeds in the near future with no increase in cost to the customer. I suppose because Comcast Cable is working on increasing their Speed to try and hold on their Customers. I Love Competition!  ;D

Here's the speed test results from Speakeasy.

Download Speed: 5192 kbps (649 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1783 kbps (222.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Oshyan

Oh how I envy your upload speed! ;D

- Oshyan

king_tiger_666

>:( that upload is faster than my download speed a lot of the time:(