The Watcher

Started by choronr, November 26, 2010, 04:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RArcher

It's a great composition Bob, nice work.  Like DandelO, the fuzzy/grain in the shadow on the rock face is a bit bothersome.  I'm not sure if overall detail, or higher GI would be the solution though.  Either way the render time would go up considerably.

choronr

Quote from: RArcher on November 26, 2010, 10:12:02 PM
It's a great composition Bob, nice work.  Like DandelO, the fuzzy/grain in the shadow on the rock face is a bit bothersome.  I'm not sure if overall detail, or higher GI would be the solution though.  Either way the render time would go up considerably.
Thank you Ryan. The detail was set at 0.9 for detail; AA at 6; GI at 2/3. I think you are right here. The GI at 3/4 would have been a better choice here.

Oshyan

I too really like this scene and actually feel composition is one of its strong points. The use of the tree and clouds to frame the top part of the scene is great IMO. I can understand the complaint about the shadowy nature of the center rock formations, but I think the noise might be what detracts most. With a smoother rendered result I think it would be less objectionable.

I don't think higher GI detail is necessarily going to help here though. It may need more shadow or atmosphere samples though. You might want to try raytracing the atmosphere in the next update (2.2) when it becomes available.

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on November 26, 2010, 10:37:44 PM
I too really like this scene and actually feel composition is one of its strong points. The use of the tree and clouds to frame the top part of the scene is great IMO. I can understand the complaint about the shadowy nature of the center rock formations, but I think the noise might be what detracts most. With a smoother rendered result I think it would be less objectionable.

I don't think higher GI detail is necessarily going to help here though. It may need more shadow or atmosphere samples though. You might want to try raytracing the atmosphere in the next update (2.2) when it becomes available.

- Oshyan
Thanks Oshyan for your input. I have noted all the good advice here and will re-render it with the new update. In addition to the noisy issue with the rock forms in shadow, I want to do something to brighten the vegetation and show more of their detail. Your suggestion has prompted me do a re-render ...thanks again.

Dune

I'd like to add that it's better to get some good and solid critiques than just oh's and aaaah's. There should be a nice mix in fact.

riche

thats where my hub cap went..!?!

nice image BTW :)
Regards

RichE
SelloString.com - Holding the world together.

ra

Great! Really like it.
Mouthwash? We don't need no stinking mouthwash!! [MI2]
See what I see: www.earthlings.com
http://dinjai.deviantart.com