empty memory?

Started by Dune, November 27, 2010, 02:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Sometimes after having done work in a large and complicated world, closing it and opening another much simpler file, it immediately turns out bucket errors and such, when rendering even a crop. It seems like the first file has loaded the memory, which isn't flushed when opening the next. Does that seem logical? Even closing TG2 and restarting doesn't seem to help.
My way of handling this is to reboot, but that's hopefully and probably not necessary. Any ideas how to handle this?
I don't have memory preallocated, and the errors also occur if I do preallocate in the second file, or lower the cache to 200MB (100MB per core).

Oshyan

This might be due to memory fragmentation from lots of memory allocations and releases. If that's the case only a reboot would fix it (or possibly a "memory optimizer/cleaner", though we don't endorse you using them). This would not be a uniquely TG2 problem either, and the fact that it persists between restarts of TG2 suggests it might be the case that's an operating system-level problem.

- Oshyan

Dune

I thought so. Thanks, Oshyan.

ps. any luck with your file retrieval?

Henry Blewer

IOBit has a good memory cleaner.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Oshyan

Nothing yet Dune, I will be shipping the unit off Monday. Wish me luck! ;D

- Oshyan

Dune