Opening Clip Files

Started by Linda McCarthy, November 29, 2010, 12:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linda McCarthy

Hi All,
Overall, I LOve the new update, but each time I try to insert a clip file (following generation of terrain + fractal terrain), my machine crashes.  I've done this countless times with the previous version of TG2..and no probs.  Wondering what's up.
Thanks in advance for any clues/recommendations.
Linda

choronr

Quote from: Linda McCarthy on November 29, 2010, 12:00:44 AM
Hi All,
Overall, I LOve the new update, but each time I try to insert a clip file (following generation of terrain + fractal terrain), my machine crashes.  I've done this countless times with the previous version of TG2..and no probs.  Wondering what's up.
Thanks in advance for any clues/recommendations.
Linda
I've experienced this before the new version. I found that you need to either pause the preview window's progress; or, wait till it is finished rendering - then, proceed to add your clip file. Hope this helps.

Oshyan

Strange, I'm not aware of seeing this kind of instability in our internal testing. In a quick test just now I can't replicate this, but my test scene is fairly simple. Does this happen with all clip files for both of you? Can you reliably reproduce it?

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on November 29, 2010, 12:29:48 AM
Strange, I'm not aware of seeing this kind of instability in our internal testing. In a quick test just now I can't replicate this, but my test scene is fairly simple. Does this happen with all clip files for both of you? Can you reliably reproduce it?

- Oshyan
I am doing a final render right now Oshyan. When it is complete, I'll try adding a clip file while the preview window is rendering to see if it happens again. This crash issue has happened for me several times in the past until I discovered waiting for the the preview window to complete rendering before adding a clip file worked.

Oshyan

OK. You mention it happened before the 2.2 update though, correct?

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on November 29, 2010, 01:19:18 AM
OK. You mention it happened before the 2.2 update though, correct?

- Oshyan
Yes, it happened before the 2.2 update. I haven't as yet loaded the update; and, won't be doing so till mid December - reason, I'm going through some major changes with my computer as of now. Linda had the problem after her download of the update.

Linda McCarthy

Thank you, choronr and Oshyan for your responses.  I paused the render preview, an now I'm good to go.
It didn't happen unless I generated a terrain before adding a Power Fractal.  Then, each time I tried to add the clip file, the heightfield would generate and it would put the clip file in the node area, then crash.  Anyway, it works now.  Thanks again, Bob..and Oshyan.
Linda

Oshyan

Was the heightfield set to Auto Generate?

- Oshyan

Linda McCarthy

Oshyan

Can you test it again with auto generate turned off? Auto generate is known to be a buggy feature unfortunately.

- Oshyan

Linda McCarthy

Just tested it with Auto Generate turned off.  No problem now, even when I don't pause the render. 
Thanks very much for your help.  Linda

Quote from: Oshyan on November 29, 2010, 02:12:40 AM
Can you test it again with auto generate turned off? Auto generate is known to be a buggy feature unfortunately.

- Oshyan

Oshyan

Great, thank you for testing that. We will address the Auto Generate issues in a future update.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

My 2 pennies - I have seen no instability at all as I've played with this newest version.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?